Author Topic: At A Cross Roads  (Read 4328 times)

PrincessSM

• Tourist
  • Gaff tape = GOD
    • View Profile
At A Cross Roads
« on: Aug 22, 2008, 10:03 pm »
Hello there! I'm new and I found this website on google and was hoping ya'll could please help me with an "issue" I have. I'm a college freshman (classes start Monday) and I'm having trouble deciding what I want to major in: theatre secondary education or stage management. Since my freshmen year of high school I've been pretty head strong about being a theatre teacher. I've helped my high school director with his lower level classes and I love the feeling that I'm helping an artist grow. I get so excited when I can share my love of theatre with others. On the other hand, I have been the stage manager for the past two years at my high school and I loved every minute of it. Nothing could beat the sensation of walking into a rehersal (even when times were tense) and taking on every challenge as it came along. SMing is really the only thing that really kept me in theatre anyway, I can't sing/dance/act. I do realize that SMing in high school is totally different than the the real world and also that it's not as "stable" as teaching. I'm really bugged about this and I want to know what to do. Could anyone please give me a hint in the correct direction to take? I'm kinda tired of losing sleep over this. Thanks.
"You're all in a musical, find a key and STICK WITH IT!!!"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: At A Cross Roads
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2008, 09:22 am »
Do you have to choose a major today?

Do you GE, try a couple classes of each - see if you can intern in one or both fields, or at least shadow.

Then make a decision.

At 17,18 or 19 is not the best time to making huge decisions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2008, 10:49 am »
First of all, welcome! 

I second what Matthew has said.  Unless you are entering into a conservatory program, chances are you don't need to decide your freshman year (or even your sophomore year) which concentration you want to focus on.  Talk to your advisor when you are choosing your class schedule and select classes that will satisfy the education requirements for both sec. ed. and stage management.  Everyone probably has to take a beginning acting class, stage craft, etc. regardless of their concentration.  And this would be a good time to get general education classes like math, history, etc. out of the way as well. 

During the year you can get stage management crew assignments at your university and/or volunteer with a school (I helped run an improv club at a middle school after school program).  Find out if there are internships or shadowing opportunities available with local professional companies in your area.  This will help you to make a more informed decision when the time comes. 

Best of luck to you!

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2008, 11:50 am »
I do realize that SMing in high school is totally different than the the real world and also that it's not as "stable" as teaching. I'm really bugged about this and I want to know what to do.

I beg to differ that SMing is "not as stable as teaching".  I have worked union and non-union gigs for over 30 years and have found SMing very stable.  In community theatre, it's more a 2nd job but in professional theatre is was my main employment. Stage Management skills can be used in most every job/career.  You learn good time management, follow through and excellent communtication skills.  You learn to modivate (sp) and be a good people person. Get your degree in something you love to do.

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2008, 03:57 pm »
Think about this as well.. 
If you major in theatre education, you can still get work stage managing.  If you major in stage management, you can't get work as a teacher (at least not in a public school setting).  I agree with above posts though.  You don't need to make a decision right now.  I would advise you start the education requirements right away though because I know education majors have a lot more requirements to get through.  If you start off as an education major and change out of it, it's not the end of the world.

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2008, 07:22 pm »
Depending on the state you're in, etc., you might be able to major in Stage Management, take some theater ed. courses to satisfy theatre elective requirements, and still get a teaching certification-- you generally don't need to major in XYZ education to get a certificate. (At least in Texas, where I am, I know this is the case.)

I second what everyone else said, though. Take at least this first year to just get into the whole college thing, get your basics out of the way, etc. You're already way ahead of most college freshmen-- as far as I can tell most don't even know what their major's going to be.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2008, 09:07 pm »
I have been staging managing professionally for 9 years with no more then 2 weeks off between gigs (I did take one six week vacation, but that doesn't count), and I have been supporting myself solely through stage management for 12 years.

It can be stable if you are good at it and hustle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous