Author Topic: ASM Help  (Read 4986 times)

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
ASM Help
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 03:24 pm »
In the past either I never had an ASM or I had a ASM with little to no experience. Majority of the time I only had an ASM for tech and the shows. This semester I am Stage Managing for my theater department's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream and I finally have an ASM who does have SM experience. I however am not sure of what tasks to delegate to my ASM because In the past I had to do everything myself. I know that she is more actor-orientated.

Also, she told me that her work schedule changes week to week so having her at every single rehearsal during the week may not be realist.

As the theater department's only SM, I Stage Managed every theater production, dance show, and many events. The director wants her to shadow me so that she is ready to take over when I transfer schools. 

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 10:49 pm by Maribeth »
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: ASM Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 pm »
Some of the good splits in the work load I have experianced in a college setting would be delegating props running or costume running to the ASM, and then also having one of you on blocking and one on book to give lines.

You can also ask your ASM what she thinks her strengths are. Personally when given a choice I would rather track props over costumes. If your ASM feels confident in specific areas, she will most likely do a better job.

You may feel that a lot of the time your ASM is doing nothing, but remember she is shadowing you to learn your position. Try to explain what you are doing and why. And if you find yourself doing several things at once, figure out what you can delegate to your ASM. It is a learning experiance for her as well, so try to share with her advice on projects she is taking on.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:59 am »
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Liz113

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Good People, Performance Network Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:26 am »
it's a little difficult early on since there is not as much to do but definitely explain what you are doing, why and how it will help in the future, since she is there to take over. Having the ASM do on part of rehearsal while you work on another. I usually have the ASM do notes ( after showing how), props or costume tracking- depending on how heavy these tasks are. That leaves you free to work on the report, blocking  and scene change tracking. As you get further into rehearsal you'll find that theres more for them to do so you have less of a workload. I usually have the ASM on line notes as well.
For training purposes, I'd say to switch off tasks that are done. Once you set up blocking and all of your lists, perhaps choose a day for the ASM to try their hand at blocking or whatever, that way they can get their feet wet in all aspects they will eventually have to do but with a bit of a safety net.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2013, 06:40 pm »
Thank you for all great responses! (Sorry i haven't replied earlier, finally got back my log in info)

Now the theatre dept. staff and new director are trying to find people for future SMs, as myself will be leaving at the end of the year, and my ASM may too.

How would you teach someone to SM who has zero experience? I've never really thought how I would train someone, that they would want to continue SM for another semester or more.

Also, should I slowly give them jobs (to be on book, record blocking and notes, write minutes and reports, etc) to the point that they'd end up doing it without supervision and assistance from me. 

nj_song

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • blog
  • Current Gig: Almost, Maine
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2013, 07:14 pm »
How would you teach someone to SM who has zero experience? I've never really thought how I would train someone, that they would want to continue SM for another semester or more.

Also, should I slowly give them jobs (to be on book, record blocking and notes, write minutes and reports, etc) to the point that they'd end up doing it without supervision and assistance from me.

If your trainee has experience with theatre, maybe as actor or stage hand, I'd take them through the production process step by step (rehearsals, tech, performances) illustrating the SM point-of-view since they're only familiar with their perspective. If they have no theatre experience at all, I'd explain the production process, the terminology, and be patient with them. Also, giving them cheat sheets and paperwork examples would be a really good idea.

And yes, I would slowly give them jobs. The first job I always give my ASMs is to be on book because it really helps them be familiar with the show. For me, my ASM has to be my second eyes and ears. When I'm with the designers and director, my ASM is with the cast. I always like to give my ASMs at least one big project to work on during a production to give them a sense of accomplishment and a holistic view of stage management. Usually, that project is props, i.e., tracking them, setting them up for rehearsals, creating prop lists.

SMBen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2013, 02:52 pm »
ASMs have many jobs, here are some that my ASM has:
Print and Copy Scripts, make prop lists, make prop tables, keep updated schedules, communicate about provided meals, collect money for fundraisers, help with dry tech, assist scene changes manage stage crew and actors.
Hope this helps.

riotous