Author Topic: SM&Acting  (Read 4913 times)

cbksm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
SM&Acting
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:01 am »
I am currently Sm a show for my school  and the dictator wants me to act in the show. What should I do? If I act how should call the show?

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: SM&Acting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:36 pm »
Well, I think the first thing you should do is stop calling your director a "dictator".  Many times in your career you'll work with people you personally can't stand and may not care much for the way they do business professionally either.  Sorry to say but it is a fact of life, it's something you'll need to learn to deal with in a positive way if you want to succeed in any business.

To answer your question - I think you should have a conversation with your director and [eloquently] explain your concerns.  Also, if your primary interest is in calling the show, explain that to your director.  Tact is key, be polite, respectful and calm.  Keep us posted!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:35 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.  Not only will acting and SMing at the same time present problems during the run of the show (like your concern about how to call the show), but also in rehearsal (taking blocking notes, for example).

Besides the practical issues, I tend to see the SM and the actor as two separate entities who have very specific jobs in relation to each other.  In my experience, combining the two roles can lead to conflicts of interest -- for example, it's hard to remain neutral in a conflict between the director and an actor if you are also an actor.

If you do decide to take on acting and SMing, kmc is right - have a talk with your director about it first, and make sure everyone's on the same page.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:29 am »
Perhaps I should clarify - it's perfectly normal to take on a combine acting and SM role.  This is done quite often as someone who is a second ASM and also performs in the cast.  If you wish to do both it's certainly possible.  If your preference is to call the show, then that won't cater much towards acting.  Either way, it's pretty clear you and your director aren't on the same page.  I'd suggest having a conversation and come to an understanding of exactly what it is your role will be.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SilverCreekStageManager

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:57 pm »
I was ASMing in my high school production of 'GodSpell'. It wasn't my first show working on, but it was my first ASM job. Well right before the last supper scene on closing night, my director gets on the headset and asks me where the bread is. I was also prop mistress. I freaked out when I realized I had forgotten it. He ran to his office to get it and then ran backstage. He handed it to me and then without thinking about it I ran out on stage, in the middle of the scene and slammed the bread down on table. After a couple of seconds on stage I realized what I had done and ran back off. Needless to say the cast and crew haven't let me forget that! I even won the 'Slam that bread' award.

TheatreRacer

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008, 12:16 am »
I stage managed and acted all throughout High School. Granted, I rarely called the shows during high school, as that job was left mostly to the director, but I didn't find it hard at all. I took mostly small parts, that required me to be on stage very little, and it also allowed me to lead scene changes from the stage and in costume.