Author Topic: Alcohol Backstage  (Read 4443 times)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Alcohol Backstage
« on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:33 am »
I'm going to be working on a student production over the summer as a sort of SM-TD-Dogsbody chimera, and I'm bumping up against the question of what to do with alcohol.

On one hand, I need to enforce policy. Campus Security forbids open containers of alcohol outside of licensed premises, it's highly unprofessional (IMO) for anyone to be drinking during a show, and the Department of Theatre officially forbids company members from drinking while working on a show.

On the other, these are students. I can't be everywhere at once, and the director has made it clear to me that the departmental policy has usually been honoured in the breach, particularly at opening and closing when pre-drinking in anticipation of the cast party is usually quite rampant.

I'm also at a bit of a loss as to what I can actually do. I don't think I can rely on my ASMs or dressers to keep an eye on things, and I have better things to be doing mid-show than rifling through dressing rooms looking for chorus members swilling out of concealed bottles.

Aside from emphasizing that these policies are in place for a reason and that I'm required by the department to confiscate any open bottles I run across, can you think of anything else I might be able to do in this situation?

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Alcohol Backstage
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:49 am »
Sounds like the director and a department official need to go over that policy (absolutely NO alcohol on the campus) at the first company/staff/crew meeting.  Immediate dismissal from the production was our policy. 

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:49 am »
On the other, these are students. I can't be everywhere at once, and the director has made it clear to me that the departmental policy has usually been honoured in the breach, particularly at opening and closing when pre-drinking in anticipation of the cast party is usually quite rampant.

Your job is to enforce the priorities of the producer, in this case the theatre department.  Won't you have enough to do without playing narc?

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2010, 11:02 am »
While I was at University all shows within the school of theatre (even over the summer) were for class credit of some type, whether it be performers, tech or SM.  Any sort of deviation from the drug/alcohol policy resulted in immediate removal from the production and an F grade for the class credit.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010, 12:32 pm »
When I was at University, post-production theatre class discussions were sometimes supplemented with wine: and Friday afternoon upper level courses often adjourned to the pub.   (During my time, due to the increase in drinking age, university-wide distribution of peppermint-schnapps in cocoa as well as Friday night free beer and wine at the dining hall were phased out.)

However, campus-wide conspicuous public consumption of drugs was an occurrence only a few times a year.

Of course, most of my peers  found fame and fortune in film and television instead of theatre -- I think we only have a few Tony winners currently active -- so take that as you will...

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:41 pm »
Yes, I agree... I think it's the responsibility of the theatre department (who, in this case, is acting as the producer) to enforce this policy at the first rehearsal / company meeting.  When I was in school, this was an issue sometimes, too, but the theatre department staff were responsible for any disciplinary issues.
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.