Author Topic: 2009/2010 Stage Management Internships for The Shakespeare Theatre Company  (Read 12830 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
The Shakespeare Theatre Company in Washington DC, a LORT B+ Regional theatre specializing in classical theatre, is starting to look for 2 (possibly 3) stage management interns for the 2009/2010 season.

Stage management interns work as part of 4 or 5 person SM team, and will be assigned a variety of duties in rehearsal, tech and performance.  Shows are large classical works - in the past with casts up to 50 people and technical, complicated productions. 

Ideal candidate has a willingness to learn, strong team member skills, strong leadership abilities, strong experience in stage management in university or equivalent experience.  Sense of humor and strong people skills are a must.  Strong eye for details, especially in paperwork needed.

As I run the stage management program, I can answer any basic questions, but for more info, follow the link below . . .

More info http://www.shakespearetheatre.org/education/training/internships/index.aspx

Live.
-In Washington, DC, a vibrant city with a thriving cultural scene
-In fully-furnished apartments located on historic Capitol Hill, provided by STC
-Receive $150 weekly to cover living expenses
-Get up close and personal with designers, cast and crew of STC productions and programs during First Rehearsal presentations, Invited Dress Rehearsals, Opening Nights and other exclusive events at the Harman Center for the Arts

Learn.
-Gain invaluable experience working in a major LORT B+ Equity theatre featuring the brand-new, state-of-the-art, 775-seat Sidney Harman Hall
-Engage in seminars led members of our senior staff, including Artistic Director Michael Kahn
-Hone your craft through hands-on, practical experience
-Bridge the gap between your academic experience and a career in professional theatre.

Work.
-With nationally and internationally renowned theatre artists and professionals
-Contribute to the diverse and thriving community of artisans and administrators at the foremost classical theatre in the United States
-Make lasting connections in the industry

Administrative Internships:
Company Management
Development
General Management
Education – Community Programs
Education – School Programs
Graphic Design
Public Relations/Marketing
Production Internships:
Costumes
Lighting
Production Management
Sound
Stage Management
Stage Properties
Acting Fellowships

Artistic and Directing Fellowships

To apply for an internship or fellowship (non-Acting), please send completed application, résumé, portfolio or writing samples, and two letters of recommendation to:

Internships
Shakespeare Theatre Company
516 8th Street SE
Washington , DC 20003
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

AggieSM08

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Thank you so much for this post I plan to apply for the 2010/ 2011 season.

Take care,
Liz Dicus
I will graduate with a degree in Theater in May of 2010 and can't wait to begin working in the industry.
This is my true passion and I'm so glad I found it!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Looking forward to your application!

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Would you accept submissions for the Stage Management positions if someone was already Equity? This seems like just the track I'd like to steer my career towards, and will be applying for 2010/2011

Thanks for the info!
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
I would consider it if you were already AEA, but you would understand it would be an education experience and position, and not under AEA guidelines.

smwmu12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: WMU Department of Theatre, Grand Rapids Civic Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
My friend Rachel is there right now doing an internship.
I am also looking into this program.
So cool to see you promoting it!!

lesliedcole

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this info...  I do have a question.  What are you looking for in a Stage Management Portfolio?

Leslie

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
What I like to see is some sample calling pages, sample paperwork, ideally multiple items from one show, and then maybe some other items from various shows . . .

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
are you still looking for applicants? I would be interested in a summer position, if there is one available. 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Please let me know your dates of availability - we don't usually offer summer only internships, but if your dates of availability line up with a show, we can look at it.

Apply.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
I'm looking forward to applying.
I have one question: the website asks for 3 references and no recs, while it looks like this posting asks for 2 recs and no references. Do you have any insight into what we should provide?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Check with education; I wouldn't mind seeing both . . .

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
Email sent, thanks!
I had recs written already, so I also asked if I could send them in regardless.
I'll update the thread when I hear back!