Author Topic: PROMPT SCRIPT: Turning in the Prompt Book to the Producer  (Read 6744 times)

cajundrama

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: When You Wish @ The Freud
  • Experience: Professional
Hi!
I recently did an AEA (HAT contract) show where the Producer told me he didn't need anything handed over when the show ended. Then 2 days after it ended, he asked for all of my paperwork. I was a bit thrown back, I had no problem making him a copy of the calling script (it is the producer's property after all), but he wanted a copy of EVERYTHING. I asked if we could go over what he needed a copy of (I like to keep the originals for my own records), but he said no I need to give him a copy of everything I had all the way down to the actor's measurement sheets. I was just wondering what other SMs turn in if a Producer asks them to turn in their book. In my past experience, on the rare case the Producer actually asks for stuff it's usually just the calling and/or blocking script. Thanks for the feedback!
Cate
PS-this was not for a touring show, just a regular musical.     

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2013, 02:04 pm by Maribeth »

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Turning in the Prompt Book to the Producer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2013, 06:48 pm »
I turn in everything. Almost all of the producers I have worked for want the whole book- I just put it into manila envelopes and label them. If I wanted a copy of something for myself, I just keep the digital copy on my computer. (Occasionally they will just ask for a digital copy of my script and paperwork but usually they want the hard copy).

If they were to remount the show, they might need things like run lists and prop presets. Any info that they can hold onto about the show will make a remount easier.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2013, 07:30 pm »
Producer is due everything, including script, ground plan, costume, light and sound plot, contact sheets etc. I used to include all reh/perf reports but now since all is emailed, I no longer print out unless specifically directed to do so. I have worked w one LD who doesn't allow his plot to be included (he was screwed by a company once, so he no longer lets any company hold on to his plot) but otherwise, yup, producer is entitled to everything. Since I make two copies of the script - calling script and blocking script - so usually I keep one or the other, but if they wanted both I would make a digital or separate hard copy for my own files.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2013, 08:01 pm »
I keep nothing but the digital files, turn in everything on closing night.

If there is anything that is overly personal, or confidential of some nature - I may remove and hand to the producer separately - since often these show books are kept in an oddly open and public place.

It belongs to them, they get it all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2013, 08:07 pm »
It seems odd to me that the producer told you he didn't need anything and then 2 days after closing asked for all of it. It sounds like the producer just didn't know what he was doing/didn't know he was supposed to keep all of the paperwork. But, like everyone else has said, it all belongs to him either way.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2013, 08:41 pm »
Was this a new producer, or a producer new to the theater? If it's the Falcon in LA, he may not have known that they keep archive scripts until asked for them.

cajundrama

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: When You Wish @ The Freud
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2013, 05:25 am »
Hi, thanks for all the answers.

No, it wasn't at The Falcon.

It was a film producer who decided to do a musical, but had never worked in theatre before. I just thought it was odd he needed a hard copy of the things he already had a digital copy of in both email and the dropbox folder i sent as a zip to him. Eh, well now I know. Thanks.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2013, 09:10 pm »
oohhh you are working on When You Wish - sounds like a ... challenging project, but you have some great folks - Lee is the very very best, and I know some other terrific folks working with you  - good luck.