Author Topic: TECH: tips for glo dots  (Read 2399 times)

forner

• New to Town
    • View Profile
TECH: tips for glo dots
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:48 pm »
So here's how I prepare to use glo-dots in tech. First I use a hole puncher to produce individual dots. Then I peel off the backing (sometimes you need a fingernail to this or a straight edge razor). Next attach the sticky side of the dot to a sheet of wax paper. Repeat this as many times as you like before tech and you will have the glo dots ready to place on corners, steps, railings, etc. I find this a more efficient method than to wait until someone asks stage management for a glo-dot. Of course you can use this technique for glo strips too. I'd like to hear what your method is.

Edited to add topic tag- Maribeth
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2015, 02:00 pm by Maribeth »

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: tips for glo dots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2015, 04:50 pm »
I usually cut strips of glowtape ahead of time, but I'd never heard or thought of putting them on wax paper. Sounds like a great time saver: thanks for the tip.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: tips for glo dots
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:53 pm »
You can also use a plastic lid (like a deli cup lid) or the back of your clipboard.

RuthNY has a great suggestion in this thread about how to avoid peeling the backing of the dots off.