Author Topic: TECHNOLOGY: Facebook photos and videos  (Read 6633 times)

SamanthaR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Phoenix Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
TECHNOLOGY: Facebook photos and videos
« on: Aug 10, 2010, 05:39 pm »
In the last season I have been running into the constant presence of photos and videos being taken during the rehearsal process, some have been part of a web campaign some have been actor motivated.  My co worker and I feel it is a sticky situation to regulate what people post on their private pages but feel we need to have some control over images leaving the comfort of the rehearsal space.  The control of photos being taken on a day when you were not aware you were going to be documented ie: people in ripped pants, no makeup etc.  In this economy and age of social/marketing media it is hard to place regulations on potential audience interest while maintaining comfort and privacy, not even addressing the issue of intellectual property.

I am curious what kind of protocol others have instated about the taking and posting of photos/video.

Edited subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2010, 09:51 pm by Rebbe »
wee but mighty

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
Re: Technology: Facebook photos and videos
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2010, 06:23 am »
My thoughts are based on a few assumptions - if some of these don't apply, I'm sorry!!

First, I would hope and assume that most people in the cast get on. In this day and age, that means adding each other on Facebook. Then, one would assume the person who has uploaded the photos would tag the correct people in the photos. Once the person/ people in the photo's see them, they can always de-tag themselves or ask for the photos to be removed. Job done, self-regulation!

However, if the photo's aren't being removed, then maybe (only if the people involved speak to you about it) you could have a word with the photographer.

2p!!

Chris

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: Technology: Facebook photos and videos
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2010, 09:28 am »
Are you working in an AEA house?  If so, most of the contracts have very specific rules regarding when photo and video recording may occur and how/where they can be used.  If not, I would recommend speaking with your producer about the possibility of providing notice of the photo/video shoots to the cast at least the day before, especially in the case of the materials used in the web campaign.  You could also speak to them about having a policy regarding photos taken in rehearsal by the cast/staff and have the producer or their rep explain the policy at first rehearsal.  It's a little hard to retroactively punish people or ask them to remove photos/videos if they had no idea that what they were doing was wrong in the first place.  If there is a policy in place and they are breaking the rules, then that's another story. 

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: TECHNOLOGY: Facebook photos and videos
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:07 pm »
If this is a non-AEA setting, I’d try to start a no-photos-during-rehearsal policy.  I don’t think you as an SM can or should  police what people do with photos once they are taken, but address whether cameras and camera phones are being used while you're working.  It is disruptive the process, and distracting if actors are constantly worried about whether they're being photographed.  You can also remind the cast that they should use good judgment and consider the feelings of the people in their photos before making them public. 

Can you clarify what you mean by a web campaign?  If this is something the producer is doing, taking rehearsal shots for publicity, they may not be aware that it is disruptive, or that some people will feel that it is invasive.  Hopefully they will be willing to lay down some ground rules, maybe put something on paper explaining what they want to shot and when.  They can set-up “candid” shots that will look better than just catching people off guard.  It might even be in the producers interest to have something in the actors (and production staff) contracts about photography, I’ve certainly had clauses like that for events I’ve worked on.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2010, 04:57 pm »
I have a related question, hopefully some of you have dealt with this before:

We have actors who want to videotape performances for their own personal websites- not for facebook, but for their portfolios.

We are not an Equity house, so AEA regulations don't apply.  I'm researching copyright laws and looking at the MTI & Samuel French rules right now (it's not looking promising for the actors).

What I really want to know is, does anyone have any resources for laws or regulations regarding the work of the designers or choreographers (again, non-union, but if you know IATSE or SSDC rules I'd appreciate a point in that direction)?  Intellectual property, original designs and all that.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2010, 05:06 pm »
Sorry I don't have access to the laws, but filming/taping actually falls under AFTRA/SAG for performers, plus intellectual/design/artistic copyright for the designers (SSDC and the various unions etc) - even if no one is union, they need to get permission from set/lights/costumer/sound/props as well as all performers - and include crew/SM/ASM because their work is visible even if they are not.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2010, 06:57 pm »
Please check with general management for your theatre . . . as AEA is all over the place with these rules. 

But in general, unless the theatre is taping it, and thus responsible for clearing all rights and making sure rules are being followed, don't allow it.  Simply say that this needs to be cleared by General Management, and push it up to them - and until you get clearance from above, simply state you can't allow it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2010, 12:47 am »
We've begun this conversation before, check this tiny thread.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2010, 02:38 pm »
In regards to the photos query----

I usually work a variety of Equity and non-equity jobs but my rules are always the same: no casual photos in rehearsal, all general managers/publicity people have to give 24 hours notice for any shots they take, and any video of rehearsal or performances (following AEA when applicable) has to be approved by me for archival/rehearsal purposes and must be destroyed if it/once it has served it's use. (I usually do a passworded vimeo site to mantain control of the material and then remove it)

These may seem either harsh or status quo, but I find having a firm policy helps create the rehearsal "safe space" we all strive for. And really, who absolutely needs to put pictures of their show on Facebook that they can't get through marketing?

--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

SamanthaR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM - Phoenix Theatre
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2010, 06:49 pm »
Thank you all for the comments.  I started rehearsal with a "maintaining a safe work environment" conversation in regards to backstage photos and video.  My artistic director looked shocked that we had reached a point with the new technology and social media capabilities that this conversation even needed to be had.  I am working with my PM  and APM to create a company policy that will cover our main stage season as well our local and national tours.  I am certainly open to more comments.  Thanks!
wee but mighty

riotous