Author Topic: TECHNOLOGY: Anyone else using Google Sites?  (Read 14023 times)

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
TECHNOLOGY: Anyone else using Google Sites?
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:54 pm »
I'm stage managing a production of "A Streetcar Named Desire" and I've received permission to use Google Sites as an online callboard of sorts. For actors there are pages for the calendar, costume fittings, rehearsal schedule, etc; for the production team there are pages for rehearsal reports, production meeting reports, as well as an area for designers to keep their plots, sketches, etc.

For the team the goal is to keep paperwork between departments updated (no more "is this the most recent plot?"), 'go green' with less need to print and make all information easily accessible. For the actors the goal is to have the majority of the information they need in one place and keep the need for calling the theatre/stage manager/director at a minimum. I feel it will also give them another avenue of being responsible for themselves (no more "I left my schedule at work, when is my next rehearsal?")

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions? If anyone would like to be able to view the site and take a look around, maybe throw some ideas around, message me with your email address and I'll add you.

Edited to add label to the subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010, 05:22 pm by Rebbe »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Anyone else using Google Sites?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:39 am »
throw some ideas around, message me with your email address and I'll add you.

Is this to say your website is protected from the general public?  Always a good idea. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:21 pm »
Yes this is protected, both for tech and actors. They have to be invited by email. Google Sites has the ability to add additional authors, collaborators or viewers.

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:50 pm »
I am currently out on the road as the lighting director for a national tour out of the Kennedy Center.   This year, they decided to set up a google site for the tour.   They have our schedule, tour manual, hotel list, etc posted on it.   Its stays pretty updated, so we can always check into it while we are on the road.    Its nice to have an easy way to check our physical paperwork to make sure it is up to date.   The only issue that we have noticed is that we have not figured out away for those of us on the road to "subscribe" to the page.  Ideally, if the office updates something, googlesites would then notify all of us that a change was made.  However, there does not seem to be away to do this.

So, yea.... so far so good.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:59 pm »
I am always afraid of sites that people have to go to to get information, and much perfer to PUSH e-mails out information.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:04 pm »
I am currently out on the road as the lighting director for a national tour out of the Kennedy Center.   This year, they decided to set up a google site for the tour.   They have our schedule, tour manual, hotel list, etc posted on it.   Its stays pretty updated, so we can always check into it while we are on the road.    Its nice to have an easy way to check our physical paperwork to make sure it is up to date.   The only issue that we have noticed is that we have not figured out away for those of us on the road to "subscribe" to the page.  Ideally, if the office updates something, googlesites would then notify all of us that a change was made.  However, there does not seem to be away to do this.

So, yea.... so far so good.

I'm actually headed to DC this weekend to start my prep on the KC spring tour! I was thinking of setting up a googe site for sharing the same information. Is the site something that the office maintains or your SM? Is your SM Caroline by the way?
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:45 am »
I've used Yahoo Calendar for online rehearsal schedules on and off for the last couple of years, and a lot of my actors really love it - mostly for the ability to immediately access the rehearsal schedule from a computer wherever they are.  I might have to look into Google Sites, I think....

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:42 am »
I might have to double-check, but I believe that when the actors get their email they have the ability to say that they get updates whenever anything on the site changes or is updated. Again I'll have to double check.
The site is also in addition to sending the usual emails. Since it's the guinea pig project for the production I'm using it in addition to the usual routine. I'll be asking for feedback during and after the show closes.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:53 am »
I've double checked; at the top of the page under "More" you may "Subscribe to site changes."

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:00 am »
I might have to double-check, but I believe that when the actors get their email they have the ability to say that they get updates whenever anything on the site changes or is updated. Again I'll have to double check.
The site is also in addition to sending the usual emails. Since it's the guinea pig project for the production I'm using it in addition to the usual routine. I'll be asking for feedback during and after the show closes.

I suspect as long as you continue to send emails nobody will check the site.  If people continue to receive the information in the manner to which they're accustomed they have no reason/motivation to change their behavior.  This was my experience when first doing a digital callboard of sorts.  Let us know how it goes, people will start using these technologies more and more and your feedback will be useful to others who decide to take on this sort of project!
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2010, 08:28 am by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Re: TECHNOLOGY: Anyone else using Google Sites?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2010, 03:08 am »
hello Marcie!

Jen in the TYA office set up the site.  I am not sure if she is planning on doing it for your show or not.  Yes, I am the lighting director on "Chasing George"...  we met very briefly when we played through NY. 

As for people checking into the site... I get the general impression that people on the tour do not actively check the site.  They may look at it from time to time, but it is certainly not the primary mode of communication.   Similiar to what Dallas is doing, we are using this as a trial basis, I don't know if its something the company will continue.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:41 am »
Short update: we have not cast yet so only the tech site is getting use for now. It is working very well. I uploaded an electronic copy of the script, audition sides, tentative props list, three scenic plots, contact information and calendar. It also came in handy when I found myself with a few hours downtime at my other job, but didn't have my laptop or flashdrive available. I used one of our in-house laptops, went to the site, downloaded the script, typed up a tentative props list and uploaded it to the site.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2010, 11:32 am »
Update: We chose our cast Feb. 2nd and everyone has been sent invites to the cast version of the callboard. I would say the biggest drawback to the invites is that you can't choose for someone that they receive email notifications of changes to the site; the actor has to sign on and choose 'subscribe to site changes.' I encouraged everyone to do just that, and so far there have been no problems...I must have a responsible group of actors :) I post to the callboard before 10pm the night of a rehearsal and it sends the notification of a site update to the actors. This has been the only callboard notification they've been receiving; I haven't been asked to send emails in addition to the notifications.

We had issues with Google Calendar working correctly when attached/inserted onto the Calendar tab of the Google Site. At first I made the calendar private, sent out invites, then attached to the site. I tried every variation I could see to make it work, but most times the actor got a message saying they weren't authorized to view it when trying to view it on the site. Currently I've made the calendar public and reattached it to the site, and so far this is working fine. I'm sure there's something I'm overlooking that will let me make the calendar private while still being able to view it on the site, but this will have to wait until the next production.

smystery

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:59 am »
I love using a google cal for rehearsal schedules, that way the whole cast can check it and it can be updated without using new stacks of paper every time.

G-O gr24

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PM Fellow at Berkeley Repertory Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:57 pm »
I was just playing around, seeing how these google sites worked.  But can you only view the site if you have a google account? 

riotous