Author Topic: TECH: Tech Week Tips  (Read 5800 times)

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
TECH: Tech Week Tips
« on: Oct 05, 2008, 09:35 am »
I'm stage managing my first musical at a local community theater. We are very early in the process, auditions are in November, performance is three weekends in February. This is the first show I've ever been involved in (7 earlier plays with various groups, either acting or crew) where rehearsals will take place in an entirely different venue than the actual production. I've been told that Tech Week will be my responsibility to manage and coordinate. I'd love to get some tips to prevent Tech Week from turning into Hell Week. What can I do between now and late-January that will help everyone in early February? Thanks very much.

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:34 am by PSMKay »

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Tech Week Tips
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2008, 04:04 pm »
I would say that one of the most important things to do is to become familiar with the performance venue, both in general and in terms of how it compares to the rehearsal venue.  If you can, get dimensions of the performance space and tape it out in the rehearsal area, so you and the cast (and crew! check out the wings situation for set/prop storage space, acoustics, etc) understand from day one what the discrepancies will be. The clearer everyone is through the rehearsal process about how things will have to change once you get into the space, the easier Tech Week will be.

What types of spaces are they? What kind of access will you have to the performance space (if any) before tech week?
~Dani

[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2008, 06:16 pm »
We're rehearsing in various rooms of a church (classrooms, choir room, worship center, fellowship hall) depending on which room we can get for each rehearsal. The performance venue hasn't been entirely set yet, but we're hoping it will be in a local high school auditorium, where one of the Board members teaches. Specific venue negotiations are ongoing. If we get that facility, I am pretty sure I'll be able to see the venue and be able to get comfortable with it.

Yes, I had already thought to tape out dimensions of the final venue at our rehearsal space. I'll bet that gets old real quick, doesn't it? We'll have to tear down and clear all rehearsal material after each rehearsal.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2008, 08:09 pm »
been there done that - and yes it sucks (and gets old by abt the 3rd day) but it's important. Do you have help? It will go much faster if you have a PA or ASM. And, depending on the rehearsal space, I have used sidewalk chalk which brushes up easily, or just outline the important stuff.

Altho not all designers like them or accommodate time for them, this is the best time to make sure you do a paper tech. And make sure you have tracked entrances and exits, props and the need for (or not for) a crossover.

Backstage solves are really vital, and as soon as you now where you are, start setting up based on things like wing space.

And get prop crates to lug all your stuff. The sooner you have rehearsal props, the happier the transition will be.

klcurrie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2008, 08:32 pm »
another option for rehearsals that move is to get a large tarp (you can use canvas paint drop cloths) and tape out the set on the tarp, which can travel from room to room with you.  Be sure to tape all the corners and most of the edges well to prevent wrinkles and know that it isn't the safest option if you have a lot of fights or dancing. 

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:02 am »
Out of curiousity, what group is this? I worked with a group for a  couple years that did literally EXACTLY that. We used various rooms in a church and then moved to a public high school. ... But i did it for an all youth theatre company where literally everyone is between 14 and 25; for example, I turn 21 this weekend and I am currently serving as the chairman of our board of directors. I have some specific tips, but am headed to bed after a long rehearsal. Do you have any specific questions? Otherwise, I'll share more tomorrow!

riotous