Author Topic: TEACHING: What basics should actors know about tech?  (Read 12963 times)

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
TEACHING: What basics should actors know about tech?
« on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:14 pm »
I'm currently working on a production of Peer Gynt. The lead actor is an accomplished, award-winning performer, as well as a Stratford veteran and Dora-award winning performer. (For all you Americans, it means he's "good"  ;)) The rest of the cast are students at a local conservatory, most in their early 20's.

Long story short: I started this with the expectation that we were working in a professional environment and that the students had been prepared to do so. I've been running rehearsals as though everyone were under an Equity contract (proper breaks, call times, etc.) In turn, I had been assured that the students had at least been given a run-down of what was expected of them (off-book, rehearsal hall behaviour, etc.). This obviously has not happened, and now we're heading into tech week in 2 weeks. I can deal with the rehearsal stuff, particularly by speaking with them one-on-one, as well as with their program coordinator. The problem is tech week. We have exactly one week from load-in/set-up to Preview. Not much time to "teach".

Couple more things. I wasn't contracted to do any teaching, nor do I have an ASM. It's a cast of 11 and a 91 page script. We have no 10-of-12s, so are limited to 9 hour tech days (for everything, including the hang and focus, levels, cue to cue and tech rehearsals).

I'm meeting with the lead actor and program coordinator on Monday morning to devise a mini-workshop for the students as an introduction to tech week. The lead actor also teaches at the school, so he's perfectly placed to discuss the actor's process during tech week - how to retain focus; dealing with the fact that for the first time in the process it's not about you; that kind of thing. I'm going to introduce them to the tech end of things.

My question is this: What do you think I should tell them? Frankly, I could put together a 20 page package for them, but that'd be counter-productive. I'm looking for the absolute most important things, preferably in point form, that an inexperienced actor needs to know about tech week. Only 2 of them have even experienced a cue to cue, and those were in community theatre. Now we're working in an IATSE house with an Equity actor. Any opinions people here can offer would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:31 am by PSMKay »

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: What basics should actors know about tech?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:26 pm »
I can't offer any advice in union terms, working as I do in a completely non-unionised country.  However, the things I expect my casts to know and do come tech week:
- No-one says "STOP" except the director or SM, unless it's an emergency.
- When someone does say "STOP", don't move from where you are.
- If you break something, don't try to hide it and pretend it wasn't you!  Tell the SM so they can get it fixed (you would not believe how many actors I have caught out doing this!); stuff does get broken in tech week!
- Just be prepared for a lot of sitting around and waiting, I guess...

SM19

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • A Keyhole View of Krysta's Kaleidoscopic World
  • Affiliations: Kabaret Charitable Foundation
  • Current Gig: North.Light Theatre (Actor); Webseries "Butterfly" (Principle actor)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:29 pm »
AHaha I love that "For all you americans, that means he's good" thing lol I love it!

As for tech week, I can give you some stuff, but I've also never experienced much because i'm community theatre as well. Basically, I've told my actors (as we're in tech week right now) how it pretty much works. My job as an SM, my crews job, and their jobs. I've explained that this is where the director "clocks out" per say and is not directly involved with the production anymore. Along with that, I explained that this is the practice run. This is where everything gets put together and it ensures that everything runs as smoothly as possible (get all the kinks out now rather than during the show). I also warned them that if they aren't ready by now...they better get their butts in gear because this week will move fast and you wont even see it go. I'd explain the schedule and how this is just like a real show so they have to be in character and act like there's an audience sitting in those empty seats.

On the other hand, I didn't explain to them about other things as you mentioned "cue to cue" because I dont know what that is (community theatre does that to you lol). So, if you think it's important enough to mention that stuff, then do it. Better to be safe than sorry.

I know it's going to sound a little odd, or...maybe not. But go see this Equity actor of yours and ask him his opinion on what you should say. If he is a teacher, he might have a idea of the absolute basics that an actor needs to know about it.

I know you've probably already thought of this, but...as an SM, if I see something that has to be done, whether i'm contracted to do it or not, I'll do it for the good of the performance, including some little lessons on things. They dont have to be long, but...as long as they get the jist of it, then great! I'd be happy lol

Dont know if that helps or not, but that's kind of what I do...
Second Place in a Stage Managers Competition = Half of an Award Winning Stage Manager! :P

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2009, 11:05 pm »
Definately go over the schedual with them and let them know what will be expected of them at the different times. Tell them how important it is that they always be alert to whatis going on so they are ready to start as soon as they are needed.

Out of curiosity, is this the Peer Gynt opening at the Great Canadian Theatre Company in Ottawa?

yesterdaysroses

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:27 pm »
This is more of a "keep this in mind" than a "tech knowledge" tidbit, but I've had problems with actors sighing, whining, and being general pains about the sitting and waiting while tech sorts out issues.  I've found that it helps to remind the cast that while they've had weeks to do their rehearsals, tech has had hours. Sure, there are plans, but no one got everything exactly right the first time!

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:27 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice! I've made several pages of notes already and have found myself mired in the details and not really thinking about a kind of general overview and needed to take a step back. (I got to a point in my notes about the LX hang where I started explaining the difference between hanging instruments on a fixed grid vs. on electrics pipes! I'm thinking that might be just a wee bit much LOL!)

I do have a meeting with the actor and the school's program coordinator tomorrow morning where we'll discuss how we're going to approach this mini-workshop, and we've already decided that they're gonna chat with the students while we're doing sound levels in the theatre before the media call. I am, however, going to have an hour-long chat with the students before that.

I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track, and you guys have helped me focus. Thank you!

LCSM - Why, yes it is!  :D We're actually going to be in the studio space (a little black box that doubles as a rehearsal hall for GCTC shows). How did you hear about it?

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:33 pm »
I volunteer as an usher at the GCTC (plugging in my volunteer hours) and I believe I'm doing your show the 14th.  :)

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:00 am »
Even if they are inexperienced, if they are committed an hour should be more than enough to brief them on tech-ing. After all you dont want to either bore them stupid or annoy them or terrify them with too much info. Definately concentrate on what you need from them. If they dont understand what all the people around them are doing, so be it. They just need to understand that everyone around them is very very busy even if it seems like they, the actors, have to wait for interminable periods while nothing appears to be happening...
Chookas!
ChaCha
ChaCha

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:24 pm »
As you look at your tech week schedule: are there rehearsals that don't involve the whole cast? (Levels, Q-Q without actors, scene shifts that don't require them).  I would try to get as much pre-tech done without the cast so that when you do introduce them into the mix--the exposure is less painless.

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2009, 04:32 pm »
I would suggest putting in a context that may make sense---a cue to cue is like a blocking rehearsal (which also is full of starts and stops) and pointing out that they have been rehearsing for weeks(months?), and this is the technicians' first time through.  Plus making sure they know (as mentioned above) that it isn't a "rehearsal" for them-it is for the techs, and the techs need them there like the actors need props to practice with (though that particular analogy may not be the best to use...)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:35 pm »
Whether Tech. is "rehearsal for them" (the actors) or not (and I disagree with the notion that Tech. is NOT for them as well) encourage them to use every moment onstage as if it were. This is how the cast continues to explore the stage, set, props, costumes, lights etc. (their new working environment) and develop the chops necessary to put on a performance.  Any suggestion that they should not be working to capacity when they ARE given the chance to run a scene, song, dance, etc. is undercutting rehearsal time. 

Use every rehearsal hour to the fullest, for every member of the company; designers, director, choreographer, technicians, stage management, AND actors.  Never waste a second of onstage time by putting into someone's head that it's not valuable work time for them. Actors don't "get into character" just before going onstage each night, they develop the means to do it while in rehearsal. Don't cheat them of this time by telling "them" it isn't "theirs."

<snip>
  Plus making sure they know (as mentioned above) that it isn't a "rehearsal" for them-it is for the techs, and the techs need them there like the actors need props to practice with (though that particular analogy may not be the best to use...)
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:09 pm »
RuthNY - I think the point of making the distinction is that cue to cue is not the time to stop to ask the director for acting notes. I saw quite a lot of that in my early days of sming, and while it's probably a valid question for the actor to pose, it's not the best time to do so. That's one of the things I want to discuss. Letting them know it's okay to ask about the timing of their entrance, but not the appropriate time to ask about their character's intention on their opening line, for instance.

As a matter of fact, I want to encourage them to think about those things. When do they have to start moving to hit the stage at the right time for their entrance (since it's different than in the rehearsal hall)? The best positions to be in when carrying the table on stage. How far they have to go from the dressing room to their entrance and gauge the timing. I call this stuff the technical elements of acting.  Also, since I don't have an ASM, a lot of these things (particularly backstage traffic) will fall on their shoulders.

The things I want to discourage are things like asking me to clarify blocking JUST before we do the cue. Also, they come from a very "collective" type of training, and I want to discourage too much input, lest I find myself in a room with too many cooks in the kitchen.

SMRose - YES!! We're even doing a paper tech the night before cue-to-cue, and the levels sessions will have been done, so I can ask all my clarifying questions then. We're also having a sort of spacing rehearsal the day before because the set is quite fluid and there's only so much we can do in the rehearsal hall. So I'm going to be as prepared as possible!

ChaCha - Absolutely! I want to make sure they know that there's going to be a lot of stuff going on that they're not going to understand and that's okay. Also that they're going to be asked to do stuff over and over again without really knowing the reasons why, but that I just need them to do it.

Thanks for all your input everyone! This has been really helpful!

Oh, and LCSM, you HAVE to introduce yourself that day!!

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:39 pm »
While I don't disagree that these acting questions should have been discussed in the rehearsal hall, I would never take the prerogative away from the Director to decide whether or not the time is right to field a question of that nature.

There is always work that the crew, designers, and I can be doing while this kind of dialogue takes place.

RuthNY - I think the point of making the distinction is that cue to cue is not the time to stop to ask the director for acting notes. I saw quite a lot of that in my early days of sming, and while it's probably a valid question for the actor to pose, it's not the best time to do so. That's one of the things I want to discuss. Letting them know it's okay to ask about the timing of their entrance, but not the appropriate time to ask about their character's intention on their opening line, for instance.
<snip>
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009, 07:42 pm by RuthNY »
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:04 pm »
I'll see you then! Good luck with the next couple of weeks, hope you keep them in line!

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2009, 09:14 pm »
While I don't disagree that these acting questions should have been discussed in the rehearsal hall, I would never take the prerogative away from the Director to decide whether or not the time is right to field a question of that nature.

There is always work that the crew, designers, and I can be doing while this kind of dialogue takes place.

Interesting. I agree with you, to a degree. I guess in my mind the type of question that can lead to a long discussion that probably would not lead to changes to cues would be inappropriate. Something like "Why does my character say x" would likely be inappropriate. But a question like "Why does my character go there, when the transition would be easier if he went here." would be entirely appropriate.

Cue to cue is still a compartmentalized rehearsal - like a blocking rehearsal. I mean that we're focusing on ONE particular aspect of a whole - marrying the technical elements with the artistic. It's like the difference between blocking vs. scene work and cue to cue vs. tech run. The blocking can change while we do the scene work, and the cues can change while we're doing the tech run, but you don't want to skip the step of either the blocking or the cue to cue because they are an integral part of layering the information. There is only so much that the human brain can process at one time, and I believe we separate the cue to cue for that very reason.

Also, the director's focus is elsewhere. He/she may not be in the mind frame to be able to adequately answer that type of acting question precisely because they're thinking less about the acting and more about the technical elements. Just as I wouldn't want to remove the director's prerogative, nor would I want to put the director in a position to have to deny the actor an answer.

Sorry for the threadjack (of my own thread LOL!).

riotous