Author Topic: PRE-PRODUCTION: Stage Manager Prep To-Do List  (Read 9617 times)

szconrad

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
PRE-PRODUCTION: Stage Manager Prep To-Do List
« on: Jul 11, 2012, 10:03 pm »
Hello all. I am a college student who has been stage managing for about four years now. I have been researching on here for about 6 months and I have really gained a lot from the community on here, so thank you for that.

Over the last year, with each show I have done, I have thought that it would be a good idea to have a to-do list that puts all my prep work into a logical order so I can set a certain routine with each show I do and not forget anything last-minute. Ranging from when I first get the script to the end of show run, I want to have a "master to do list" that can be added to or changed at any time.  Do you guys have any suggestions as far as formats for this on how to organize it, or maybe things you have on your own to do lists? Thanks for your help.

Edit to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2012, 01:24 pm by Rebbe »
Zach Conrad

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Stage Manager Prep To-Do List
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2012, 09:29 am »
There are some examples of Prep AKA Pre-production lists in the Uploaded Forms board:
http://smnetwork.org/forum/uploaded-forms/preproduction-forms/msg37738/#msg37738

Check them out and let us know if you have additional questions.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2012, 09:35 am »
I like to organize my to-do list chronologically- Prep Week, First Rehearsal, Move-to-Stage, Tech, Previews, Opening, Closing. Definitely check out what is in the Uploaded Forms- there are some great examples there.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2012, 07:57 pm »
The theater I used to work for had a helpful timeline format, counting down to opening. One month before opening, 3 wks before, 2 wks, etc.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BMarie_SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Theatrical Official Website
  • Affiliations: Florida Studio Theatre, Island Shakespeare, Stonehill College
  • Current Gig: Intern @ FST (2012-2013)
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2012, 06:11 pm »
As everyone has said, breaking it up by where it is in the process will help you not get overwhelmed.

Many college will have pre-made guidelines which include such timelines. I would definitely ask your theatre if they already have one, and then you can use it as a base.

The most important thing is that your To-Do list will change depending on where you work, so whenever changing venues I would be sure to double check your responsibilities.

One of the things that has helped me be successful in terms of to-do lists is ALWAYS thinking of the others involved. You may not know everyones deadlines but thinking logically will help everything run smoothly. For example, if you need to make photocopies of the script - do you have to also provide them for designers? If so, they probably want them before the first rehearsal.

This also can relate to the smaller, pre-show to-do lists ie. when you arrive at the theatre. I am CONSTANTLY planning everything backwards. For example, if actors are called at 6pm then everything should be ready for them at 6 pm. That means I arrive at 5pm in order to do a,b,and c. But I know that I can do d, e, and f while the actors are dressing.

My general rule of thumb is the sooner the better - use your To-Do list, but trust your gut and instinct. Think something should be done now, just do it - even if your to-do list says it doesn't have to be done till next week.  :)
-Brianna
Stage Manager - Dramaturg - Director
newbielink:http://briannamarie.yolasite.com/ [nonactive]

riotous