Author Topic: SOUND: Mics (where are body mics placed?)  (Read 3355 times)

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
SOUND: Mics (where are body mics placed?)
« on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:50 pm »
OK. I am going to sound like the idiot here. I know it already. Where are the mics on some of these actors? I am talking about the BIG time shows like Broadway. I saw "Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular" and it took me forever to see the mics on the actors forheads. This is not true for all actors though is it? Just watched one of the performances on the "Tony" awards and I could not see any mics. Where they lip singing/talking? Surely not. I would be shocked. Just wonder what everyone does with the mics. Put them on clothing? In hair? Forheads? Pure curiosity here.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:30 am by PSMKay »
~pay it forward~

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Mics
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2007, 11:26 pm »
Micing is usually the job of the Sound Engineer/Operator. There are two 'usual' positions. Taped high on the cheek, almost at the ear, or taped to the forehead. The later is best when wigs are involved, as the wig easily hides the lavalier mic. The cheek is the easiest position, and is often covered with some tape and makeup applied over the top (especially when you have flesh toned lavs).

Lavs can also be attatched to costumes fairly easily. Combine that with boundary mics, shotguns etc, and micing should be almost invisible to the eye.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Mics
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2007, 01:10 pm »
If you have any more sound related questions feel free to ask.
I'll be glad to help.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ