Author Topic: SHOWS: The Clean House - any traps?  (Read 3141 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
SHOWS: The Clean House - any traps?
« on: Aug 01, 2010, 01:58 am »
Doing The Clean House and excited about this gorgeous piece of writing -

anyone else done the show? Just checking for tricks/traps or things to be concerned/aware abt

(and how you dealt with the only, but insane QC at the end where Charles and Ana become mom and dad one more time)

Thank you~!

Added tag to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2010, 04:13 pm by Rebbe »

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: The Clean House - any traps?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2010, 02:12 pm »
Have fun!  I Stage Managed The Clean House two years ago and it was a great experience - the visual elements in the show were stunning!

The only difficulty in calling the show that I remember is the subtitles that translate the Portuguese because it happened quickly and I wanted to make sure that we stayed on track with the translation (and that the actors who didn't speak the language also stayed on track).  Speaking of language, having a dialect coach for the Latina women was very helpful (unless you have actors that already know the language and dialect)

Make sure you have items that can be cleaned up and reset in time to be used in the "operatic mess" - we used various potpouri, the chess set, ribbon, and several larger items that could be thrown or knocked down without breaking anything.  Also - Mr. Clean magic erasers were invaluable for the inevitable smudges on the white walls.  Oh, and get a back-up fish (you know, just in case...).  We alternated ours depending on who was acting more "frisky" that day.

As far as the quick change at the end, we did not try to hide it.  The actors stayed on stage and in position while Matilde speaks - Charles took off his coat and Ana took off her robe (I also think that Charles had a flower in his vest that he gave to Ana to put behind her ear).  It was kept very simple and they had their earlier parent costumes under-dressed. 

Hope that helps some; have fun with the show! 

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2010, 10:16 am »
Never SM'ed it but saw a great production of it (twice) a few years ago. Hope you have fun! it's a great show.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:03 pm »
I love the play - one of the best I've read in a long time - and thanks for the notes chrrl - we are discussing how the projections are gonna work, and also what real food/perishables we will choose to have (the only definite food I see listed are apples, choc ice cream, something to stand in for the casserole - prob stovetop stuffing - and lots of tea and coffee)

First time in a while I am excited abt my new show!

« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2010, 10:55 am by loebtmc »

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Re: SHOWS: The Clean House - any traps?
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2010, 10:56 am »
Turns out our Ana is - of all things - Brazilian, and is working with out Matilde (who is Latina)  - funny, eh? But such a lovely group of folks and such a beautiful play

Two key qqs:
The yellow powder that gets thrown and (hopefully) evaporates - what as anyone used that worked visually but didn't get all over the costumes and furniture and stain everything?
And, did your Charles sing? If so, what did you use for the Latin medieval love song/duet?

Nice to look forward to going to rehearsal again....

riotous