Author Topic: SHOWS: Picnic  (Read 4524 times)

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
SHOWS: Picnic
« on: Apr 25, 2008, 01:37 pm »
So, I just found out that I'm stage managing William Inge's 'Picnic' next fall.  Is anyone familiar with/has anyone worked on the show?  Advice?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:13 am by PSMKay »

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Picnic
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2008, 02:13 pm »
Love this show! See if they'll let you do the real ending to Act I.
Hal: "We're not going on no damn picnic!" (Kiss in the sunset and they run off as the blackout begins)

You can probably find this version in a local or school library.  Look for it, bc my director loved this option and had I not read the original version, he would have  never known.

Just my thoughts,
Deb
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

stagegal1

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2008, 01:48 am »
I stage managed a production of this last year.  We used a well placed / timed hazer for the smoke from the exploding garbage.  Since I was working with students, our cigarettes were actually fake ones - you blow in to them and "smoke" comes out.  With practice, it looks pretty good. We also used a zippo to get the unmistakable "click" of a lighter without actually having to have flame on stage.  Do you have any specific questions? 

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:36 pm »
I did props for this show last year.  I loved it.  We used real leaves and potted plants to decorate the stage... It was high school theatre, so we had to substitute chewing gum for cigarrettes.  It was pretty easy in terms of tech and calling cues, because the scenes are pretty long, and the only lighting effects are basically sunrise/sunset and blackouts between scenes.  The sets were probably the most chellenging, because we had to build a balcony-type thing for an upstairs room in the house.  And making everything look period was fun.

There's also an old movie version of Picnic that's supposedly pretty good, but I haven't seen it.

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:12 am »
Thanks Guys.  I don't really have any specific questions just yet because I'm not sure exactly how we'll be approaching the show, as designers haven't even been chosen yet.  Although, I did hear distant rumblings of staging the show in ally, which could be interesting.  Depending on how they orient the sets, sight lines might be tricky from the booth.  Also, in the good news department, the cast is the smallest I've worked with in a while (11).  That's a pretty nice number coming from a Shakespeare cast of 25 and, before that, a devised theater show with a cast of 17.  I'm excited to see how things will unfold.