Author Topic: SHOWS: Noises Off  (Read 7322 times)

NickySM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
SHOWS: Noises Off
« on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:21 pm »
Has anyone done their own production or worked with the production, "Noises Off" I'm going to be taking part as the Stage Manager for this show in the Fall of 2006, If anyone has anything I should watch for, or ideas or anything, let me know!! Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:50 pm by PSMKay »

amylee

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/amylee1028
Noises Off
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2006, 02:55 pm »
start working on your props plot YESTERDAY.

and have fun - this show is a tremendous challenge, and is all kinds of fun
amy lee
:)  :(

ESM_John

Re: Noises Off
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2006, 10:10 pm »
I might be doing this show, this fall....my first show as an actual SM and not a ASM :) Genreally, im freaking out, but ill make it....hopefully!

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2006, 11:16 pm »
Read the play and start work now.  As Amylee said -- it's a huge challenge but tons of fun.

Just don't let your cast BECOME the actual cast of the show!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

SMJon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:21 am »
I served as an ASM on a production of "Noises Off."  Of course I had to oversee the costume and props people backstage.  I agree with whoever said to start on your props plots and lists yesterday.  By the end of the show you won't know whether sardines are coming or going.  Act II is a beautiful wordless backstage ballet.  It is a nightmare to choreograph so that the actors are safe but it looks awesome when done right.  Again, the props will drive you nuts.  They have to be exactly placed so that people can grab then in a second and run out on stage.  It is a challenge to put together but it is great once it is finished and you just sit and watch the actors go. 

Cheri

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2006, 02:02 pm »
I worked as the SM on a production of this a few years back. It was a great experience. What a wonderful show to be in the SM role.
You do need to have a very clear list of props and make sure that the prop tables are clearly marked, so you can easily make sure that your props are all in place before each run.
Actor safety in all areas is extremely important as they are working with an axe, falling downstairs and over couches, etc. Hopefully you will be having someone trained in stage combat able to really teach proper ways of falling without injuring yourself, as well as how to handle to maneuvers with the axe passing between the actors. Each night at call we ran the sequences that involved falling and the axe to insure that everyone was safe and doing it exactly as was choreographed. There can be no room for fooling around during those, which is hard to have fun yet be safe. In rehearsals it was extremely important to write down the exact movements. Any time something started to not be done right, we stopped the actors.
My school had a very small stage with a cement beam across our ceiling which made turning the 2 story set backwards (twice) a challenge. We actually had to choreograph the set change in order to get everything in the exact place. We had a 10 minute intermission for each set change and got the set change down to 5 minutes. Our audiences actually stayed and watched the set changes, and gave us wild applause when we were done.
You will have a lot of fun with this show once rehearsals get going and things fall into place. If you have any questions as you are going through the production, I would be glad to help anyway I can.
Have Fun!!

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2006, 09:05 pm »
Sardines! Sardines! Sardines!

Whitewater

• New to Town
  • I'm an Ozalot -- and proud of it!
    • View Profile
    • Whitewater's Web Site
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2006, 11:34 pm »
Box! Box!

Bag, bag!

Totally not relevant to hints and tips for SMing Noises Off, but I have to say, that for *years* I worked as ASM for my best friend (who was the SM) until she went back to school for her MA, and now, her PhD. And every time we got into props trouble, out would come the Noises Off routine. Ah, those were the days.

And I have it on DVD and watch it a lot after a bad rehearsal -- it's comforting to know that no matter how bad my day might have been, there's somebody out there who's got it worse! The cast of Nothing On .. .

Whitewater

Current: Trail of Terror, Evil Clown

Next: ???? (resumes are sent out!)

www.mybackstagelife.net

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2006, 11:28 am »
I've SMed this twice, which you'd think would have made it easier the 2nd time. not so.

Props are a true nightmare, begin the props tracking as soon as possible, and make sure you have LOTS of space for blocking notes, and an extra large eraser!

It's a big show & SOOOOOOOOOOOO very much fun- enjoy the ride!  ;)

blue

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2006, 09:26 pm »
seeing as its october you may have already done the show. but, aisde from the props is to stay on the actors about their lines. it may seem like the kind of show where if you drop a line or mix something up or paraphrase its fine and it rolls on cause thats what happens in the script. but missed/flubbed lines can kill the show. there are specific cue lines that if they are in the wrong place or missed can send the actors spiraling into oblivion. trust me i've watched it happen, as i sat helplessy in the booth with no way to get anyone back on track.

riotous