Author Topic: SHOWS: has anyone worked "is he dead"  (Read 4096 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
SHOWS: has anyone worked "is he dead"
« on: Mar 06, 2009, 12:30 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had done this newly discovered piece by Mark Twain - and if so, is it particularly prop or set or effect heavy, are there any concerns I shd know abt etc?

thank you in advance
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:27 am by PSMKay »

klcurrie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: has anyone worked "is he dead"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2009, 06:06 pm »
There's a production of it running at the Olney Theater Center in MD right now.  i'm sure someone there could help you.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2009, 09:14 pm »
Yes, OTC's production of Is He Dead runs through this Sunday, March 8.  I can't offer first-hand advice as I wasn't the SM for the show, but I consider Olney to be my home theatre and I just saw their production.  My friends in the show/on the production staff tell me that the trickiest part was figuring out the scene change from Act 1 to Act 2 since you're going from a poor artist's studio to an upscale hotel room.  Other than all of the paintings, their production wasn't particularly prop heavy.  PM me if you would be interested in me putting you in touch with a member of the SM staff for their production. 

wilmister

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Clybourne Park-Woolly Mammoth Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:43 am »
Why yes,

I am the PSM of Is He Dead?, at the Olney Theatre Center.  As Renee mentioned above the change of location between acts one and two need special attention.  The show is not prop heavy just prop specific.  Millet is a real artist who's life is not represented in the play but his works are.  Going into tech the first thing I wanted to accomplish was the QC of Millet from Man to Woman.  This was especially important in figuring out the logistics and also the rigging of the clothing.  Also the actor who plays Basil, Charlie, and the Reporter has 2 QC that are wise to rehearse right off the bat.  Lastly the QC from the Widow Tillou to Millet needs a bit more attention, due to the immense time constraints of that change.  All in all this is avery funny show and little known treasure.  Enjoy!
William E. Cruttenden
AEA Stage Manager
Wilmister@Gmail.com

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2009, 04:00 am »
Thank you so much for the info! This is very helpful, esp as the theater is asking for a concession to the ASM requirement - and this gives me an idea of the crew size required.

Sounds like a fun piece - and once my current show stops having nightly crises and changes and I actually get to sit down and read this, I appreciate the opportunity to ask any specific questions that may arise.

again, THANK YOU

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:38 am »
I sent a direct email but just in case - our costumer wasn't able to make the initial prodn meeting so in addition to the QC issues, I was wondering how you guys had solved the painted/overpainted pants moment - did you use a velcro'd patch that was patched over (or lifted and replaced), did you use yellow then black tempura that had to wait to dry, or tape....how was that moment solved? I assume anything truly wet and colored would not have worked, too much busy-ness and too many things to rub up against. Just asking...

and thank you