Author Topic: SHOWS: Doubt  (Read 3043 times)

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
SHOWS: Doubt
« on: Oct 30, 2009, 03:17 pm »
Hey everyone,

Sorry I've been gone for a bit, but I'm back now.  

I just signed on to SM Doubt.  Seems pretty straight forward on first blush, any pitfalls or problems I should know about.  

Phil

Edit added label to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2009, 12:26 am by Rebbe »

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Doubt
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2009, 02:36 am »
It's a pretty straightforward play from a stage management point of view (from an actor's point of view  it's far from straightforward!).  I took a production over about three years ago and it wasn't complex at all.  Father Flynn does have one relatively quick costume change (well, he did in our production) but it has minimal props.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:33 am »
It will depend on your production.  When I did it, we had an automated wagon for the office and winched wagons and fly pieces for the other scenes.  It is a rather quick show (ours was 1 hour 25 minutes) but it has 8 or 9 scenes, each of which requires a scenic transition.  Father Flynn does have a quick change, and our production didn't have a lot of hand props but did have a ton of dressing in the office.  Even with all the transitions our tech still flew by and went rather smoothly once we got the timing of the office wagon down. 

It's a very emotionally charged piece for the actors, so just stay alert of their needs throughout the rehearsal process/run. 

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:03 pm »
I should have said that our production was very non-complex in style, with a totally static set (picture below) - transitions were all done with lighting and even then I still only had about 30 lighting cues and about the same number of sound cues.  The one thing that did worry me a little was the real rosebush we had in the garden - I have a terrible record when it comes to plants in pots as I usually manage to kill them, but the rose survived my ministrations over the season and is now planted in the director's garden!

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2009, 04:57 pm »
I had the opposite problem with the live plants - the play takes place in Fall and we did it in Spring and our set designer used live plants in the garden that kept trying to bud and bloom during the run.  Each night I went out and picked off all the new leafy growth (and felt pretty bad about it, but hey, what else are you going to do?)  Everything else in our production was easy as pie and went very smoothly.

riotous