Author Topic: PROMPT SCRIPT: Script Copy  (Read 5672 times)

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
PROMPT SCRIPT: Script Copy
« on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:24 pm »
I have a couple questions regarding photocopying drama scripts. We ordered a total of 15 copies; 10 for cast, 1 for director, 1 for stage management, and 3 for the design team.

1. I have two Assistant Stage Managers. Can I make a photocopy of my script for their use?

2. I have a small handful of actors requesting for a photocopy of a script, to help make it easier for them to notate and write in. They have been given physical copies of the script.

3. Can I make a photocopy of the script for use by our technical staff? As of now, I only know of 1 tech that may need one.
We will be having a soundboard operator to run microphones and sound cues. They will most likely need an annotated script for turning on/off mics and to set up sound effects. If I could, I'm planning of making a marked binder that will house the script and it will be required for them to return it after each rehearsal/performance. 

Edited to add topic tag. -Maribeth

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2014, 02:25 pm by Maribeth »
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Script Copy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:23 pm »
Technically you're not supposed to,  but I don't know a single theatre company that doesn't copy scripts for exactly this kind of purpose.  I personally think so long as you keep track of them and they don't get copied hundreds of times and "released into the wild", you aren't likely to strike any problems.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:21 am »
Thank you!

I was really not looking forward in to having to destroy a couple copies of the book script to make a prompt book.
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:22 am »
Legally . . . you should buy one copy of the script for each photo copy you make.

Some licensing agreements for production allow the script to be copy for production use.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous