Author Topic: SCHEDULING: Multiple Rehearsals at same time.. HELP!  (Read 3794 times)

Nbayard

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NIU, Stage Coach Players
SCHEDULING: Multiple Rehearsals at same time.. HELP!
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:19 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right location, but, I need some advice.  I am stage managing A Midsummer Night's Dream at my university at the moment, and I'm currently in the process of making a tentative rehearsal schedule, however we are having multiple rehearsals at the same time, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to make this scheduling process easier with a cast of 22.  I feel like it's going to take absolutely forever!   The director and I sat down and figured out how long each french scene would take to initially block it, once we finish the text work. But I'm now stuck on figuring out what to do now.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ??? ???
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:32 am by PSMKay »

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Multiple Rehearsals at same time.. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:04 pm »
If you haven't made an actor plot already, then I would highly suggest you do so. (http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,1091.0.html)

If you're just talking about the issues with scheduling, then it probably will take a long time to figure out how things work together, especially at first, but will get easier over time. I would suggest making a list of scenes that can be rehearsed at the same time easily: The Lovers and the Mechanicals generally don't have scenes together... and I would make sure that every scene ends up rehearsed. Sometimes it's hard to fit in those short transitional kind of scenes. Don't let "We'll get to them..." sneak up on you!

If you're discussing actual rehearsal, then you'll have to rely on your ASM(s) (You do have at least one, right?) to pass on information. Make sure you have a good system of communication going on and that they know what information you expect out of each rehearsal. I keep a rehearsal log (very similar to rehearsal report, generally more info and just notes, though) and would ask them to do the same.

Good Luck! Remember to breathe. :P

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2007, 01:47 am »
When I started out to make the schedule for the show I am currently running, I used three colors of post-it notes and a couple of bulletin boards.  Staging was one color, music was another, and dance was a third.  On each post-it, I wrote the scene/song number, the actors involved, and the amount of time needed.  I moved the post-it notes around on a bulletin board coming up with the best combinations that maximized our time.  I then compiled my post-it notes into a master schedule (excel document).  This schedule was only available to the artistic team (the director, choreographer, music director, and myself).  We would adjust the schedule as necessary after each rehearsal once we knew better how fast the actors worked and how long things would really take.   If you would like to see a copy of my master schedule, please PM me; I'd be happy to share. 

As far as the actual rehearsals went, I was always in staging rehearsals with the director and my assistants were in music and dance rehearsals.  We would talk to each other via IM as our theatre has a wireless network.  We would then meet after rehearsals to compare notes and catch-up with one another.  And then there were times when we were all together. 

Hope this is helpful.  Let us know how it goes.

J

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2007, 07:50 pm »
It's a puzzle, that's all.  There are multiple pieces, and your job is to put the pieces together--but this puzzle can be put together in different ways.  There will be times where you find that you could have done things differently to maximize results, but you do your best and that's all you can do.   As long as you keep the process moving forward at a proper speed, you're doing it right. If you're keeping things moving even better than that, you've REALLY got the hang of it.  Along the way, you'll find secrets, like "oh, I know I can always put these two actors in the other room to work on X while we're rehearsing Y in this room." Then you'll always know to do that whenever Y is happening onstage.

The way I like to do it is to first put down the ideal schedule for the main rehearsal (i.e. the rehearsal the director is in), then the second priority (as long as no costume fittings, voice/text sessions, etc) is the rehearsal with the Asst. director, then the third with etc. etc. Fill out the perfect day's schedule for the main rehearsal. With that, then what can you do in the next room?  Now once that's done, what can you do in the next room? There are multiple combinations for each day and you should try a few before setting the schedule.

it will work out. it will take time. it will get easier.