Author Topic: SCHEDULING: Do you include crew calls on your daily rehearsal calls?  (Read 5050 times)

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
I just got what I thought was an unusual request from the producer to add a crew call time to the daily rehearsal schedule.  I'm in preview week on my current show, and my assistant or I give the crew their call at the end of the production meeting based on the next day's rehearsal schedule and I include it in the performance report, which the crew receives.  I've never seen a rehearsal schedule that included a crew call.  Have you ever had this request?  If you do include crew calls on your daily calls, where do you put it?  My schedule is really designed to be a call sheet for the actors and I'm just not quite sure where to add it in without reformatting/adopting a new type of schedule.  It is a moot point for this show as we are no longer in rehearsal, but I have 3 other shows with the company this season and am thinking ahead.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
Can you post or link a copy of your current format?  It would be hard to give advice on adding information without seeing how that information is currently formatted.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
I do add it when it effects the rehearsal call or something odd.

Otherwise, I expect the department heads to communicate the crew call (For example, I don't know what time LX needs to be in to start tech at 12:00n)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
I do include run crew calls on my daily rehearsal schedule during Tech & Previews.  Sometimes I let assistants or crew go home before the meeting is over, but even when I do give a call at the end of the day, it’s nice to have an email reminder as the days start to blur together.  I’ve attached an example.  I don't spell out what they need to be doing pre-show; they either know already or I'll talk it over with them.  My board ops know that if the designer needs them earlier than I have called them, they should come in for the earlier call, but usually it all comes up in the meetings.  I don’t include calls for overhire, or when staff electricians or carpenters are working onstage before/after rehearsal, though I would probably note that in the rehearsal report, where I give an abbreviated schedule (10am-noon carpenters onstage/noon-6pm tech, etc).
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Yes, during techs, dress, previews and run of show I list the crew call.  Sometimes it's as simple as:

DATE
12n  call        Cast/Crew
12:30p call    Orchestra
1p    GO         Tech #1
(scheduled to end at 4p)

DATE
10a-12n        Carpenters--fix it work
12n-2p          Electricians--fix it work
3p  call          Cast/Crew
3:30 call        Orchestra
4p  GO          Tech # 2
(scheduled to end at 8p)

In this example, everyone sees over a few days or weeks time when to be at the performance venue and how long to plan to be there.  Everyone's call is in one place for me as SM. I'll post this info on the callboard as well as email and post changes as they occur.  If there is special make up/costumes that require more than a one hour or 1/2 call, wardrobe call and specific cast member(s) will be inserted where their "special" call time would be.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
My crew is made up entirely of interns, and all of them have separate calls with their supervisors prior to the crew call.  I announce the crew call for the show at the production meeting with all department heads present.  My ASM calls or texts the crew their show call and the department heads give the interns their individual calls for work prior to the rehearsal call. 

I talked more with the producer and it seems that the biggest confusion has been with when the interns are called with their supervisors, which I have no control over and isn't always announced in the production meeting.  I personally feel that production management should be the one to publish that schedule, and I'll start adding the crew calls for rehearsal somewhere on my schedule on the next show. 

kallulah

There's nothing wrong with making two calendars.  One for cast, one for crew.  But I really just usually limit my crew calls to after rehearsals, or on the rehearsal report. 

Then again...I AM the crew so I guess I can't comment.  Usually crew is on a different schedule anyway.  Maybe your director or producer just wants to know all the information can be found in one place.

riotous