Author Topic: SCENERY: Sand Onstage  (Read 9707 times)

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SCENERY: Sand Onstage
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2013, 03:13 am »
Where's the story of the person who did a show with sand and after the run it was extremely clean and they never saw it again? Haha!

I did a show with sand, had to load all of the sand out through small doors, so it was all done by wheelbarrow...a wheelbarrow... through the sand, one of the worst days I can remember. Finally someone suggest using 2x4 across the sand but if you rolled off the plank the sand went everywhere, and the sand was in a pit so you couldn't start at the edge and move in cause then you wouldn't be able to get out of the pit with the extremely heavy wheelbarrow.

As for keeping the sand nice, they would rake, use big magnets cause somehow everything got lost in the sand pit. and spritz before the show. This was of course they year after they did the show with rocks and dirt...that theatre will never be clean.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2013, 11:55 am »
Another thing to think about is weight of the sand and can your stage floor support it.  If it is really shallow it might not be an issue, but if it is deep it is something to calculate.  Sand is heavier than it appears!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Kelasaurus

• Contributor
  • Live, Laugh, Love
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Getting my feet wet in the industry
« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2013, 11:27 pm »
I'm actually about to do a show with sand... Oh joy. In a tiny black box space with painted black concrete floors.
‎"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Walt Disney

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2013, 05:25 pm »
We used granulated cork for our sand. It's less dense, and less scratchy. http://www.marylandcork.com/

I'm working on a show that's about to go into rehearsals, and they're using cork for sand. They want the stage floor to be quite well-polished and shiny, so they're avoiding real sand which could scratch and dull the floor.