Author Topic: REPORTS: Offshoot from Are you always completely honest?  (Read 6865 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
About being completely honest in reports . . . I always like to hear answers to this question . . .

Do you note when you screw up in the report?
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 01:37 am by Rebbe »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

stancial

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, IBT
Re: Offshoot from Are you always completely honest?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:53 pm »
Absolutely...sheepishly perhaps, but always.  As was pointed out in the previous thread, it could come back to bite you later if you don't.  Better to get ahead of the game and admit the mistake (kinda like David Letterman) than to pay doubly later for appearing to either ignore it or cover it up.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2009, 03:17 pm »
Definitely. Seems like it'd be more of a problem if I didn't.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2009, 03:57 pm »
I do.  It doesn't seem fair to me to call out other people's mistakes, and not my own.  Documenting it is great motivation for preventing it from happening again (this of course is true for other people's mistakes as well).

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2009, 09:52 pm »
I usually do, but mostly because I'm a masochist at heart and would rather call out my own mistakes than get them in notes from a director/gm/etc.

--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2009, 10:44 pm »
Definitely.  I'll note if I call a cue early/late. If I'm operating the sound and lights and the company knows that, I'll say something like "LX15 went early today due to operator error." If something wasn't pre-set correctly, I'll note that as well.  As was said before; if I'm noting all the mistakes that were made, mine should naturally be included!
I've had one producer say that he found it humorous that I included my own mistakes in the reports, especially since (for that particular company) I was the SM/ASM/Lightboard Op/Soundboard Op.  I told him that since I had so many duties, there would be nothing to put in the report if I never noted anything I did, right or wrong.
Having said that, if something was broken before the show/during intermission/what-have-you and it was fixed, I will also note who fixed/replaced it, even if it was me.  That way there is always a trail of who did what.  Do others do this as well?  I like to note the positive along with the errors (a Q sequence that went perfectly due to the efforts of many different parties, a quick prop/costume fix, etc.)

CRVerdusco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, USITT, IATSE
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2009, 12:06 am »
I always note my mistakes, as it was said, I would rather call out my mistakes then have someone else call them out.  I think it's also important to record everything; I've seen stage managers not record when they have made mistakes and to me that's lying to the rest of the production team, I have also seen Stage managers blame their mistakes on board ops and other and that is just WRONG.

My thoughts, I'm my biggest critic so I know when I don't do something correctly.

klcurrie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2009, 12:27 am »
absolutely.  why should I not be held to the same standard as everyone else?

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2009, 04:59 pm »
absolutely.  why should I not be held to the same standard as everyone else?

Ditto for me!!!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2009, 05:27 pm »
But the real question is - are those who aren't always honest in their reports going to be honest here?   ???
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2009, 07:05 pm »
But the real question is - are those who aren't always honest in their reports going to be honest here?   Huh

True . . . very true.

There are many stage managers who would never put a disparaging word about their work in the report.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2009, 07:22 pm »
I'm more likely to note my own mistakes than others.  At least I have first hand knowledge of what exactly went wrong!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

Laurak29

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • www.extemporaneoustheatre.com
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2009, 12:03 am »
Yes. I'd rather cop to it than think of someone else taking the blame. I also note how problems were resolved, and who played a part in the remedy.
Laura K
Crew Chief
Extemporaneous Theatre Company
laurak@extemporaneoustheatre.com

Libby

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2009, 01:14 pm »
As another offshoot:

What is everyone's thoughts on taking responsibility for the SM team as a whole? When I am PSMing I find that I commonly will take the fall for something one of my assistants or PA did. As long as it is a first time offense. Mostly because I feel that saying, "Im sorry, I told my ASM to do that, but she didn't" comes across as petty. Then, following that conversation will pull the offending person aside and ask how the mistake happened (basically see if there is anything that needs changing or if it was just a screwup).