Author Topic: RUNNING: Notes from director after opening??  (Read 5066 times)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
RUNNING: Notes from director after opening??
« on: Oct 28, 2007, 01:13 pm »
So I am having an issue with my current show that I am not quite sure how to deal with.  I apologize in advance if this is a bit of a rant...
We are well into our run, and I am still getting notes after every performance from the director, who goes to every show.  This is a professional (but non-union) company.  It not the "what happened with..." kind of notes that I have a problem with, but the "this set piece didn't move at the exact second I think it should, and that's dangerous, and you need to talk to the crew and fix it" kind of notes or notes about what I need to tell the crew.  I am trying to not be over sensitive about it, but I am used to working in an environment where the show is the SM's after opening, not the director's.  By the time that I get his notes, I have already resolved whatever the issues are and given the appropriate notes to the crew.   I will also say that this is a director that I work with frequently, and he does this to all of the staff, not just me.
Has anyone else had to deal with this?  Did you address it with the director?  If so, how?  Or is it just that I need to suck it up and ignore him, knowing that he is not trying to be malicious?  I appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Thanks!
SSM
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:23 am by PSMKay »
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

LisaEllis

Re: Notes from director after opening??
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2007, 03:20 pm »
Too bad the director doesn't have another gig to go to and move on...

I've only run into this a few times, and I've just nodded, taken the notes politely, and moved on.  Sometimes you can say "we know what happened, and it'll be fixed for next time."  But if you're getting the note again the next time, and it's just that the director doesn't like how it's happening, then maybe you need the Production Manager or some one to help you out.  If the director can't find you after the next show to give notes, or gets into a conversation in the lobby and doesn't get back to see you....what would happen with this director?  Obviously you don't want him giving notes to whoever is standing around, but if the wind is out of the sails, maybe you won't have to sit thru it.

Good luck!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2007, 05:09 pm »
I have been getting an email every afternoon with notes about the night before...
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

LisaEllis

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:25 pm »
Well, that does put an impersonal spin on this, doesn't it?

It seems like an email puts the ball in your court about what notes to address or not.  And if micro-managing after opening is this director's style, than I don't know what else you can do except "Thanks, I'll take care of it."  But it must still be annoying to hear it every day.  Do you ever get a "great show" note from this person?

How much longer is your run?  I hope it goes well for you!

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2007, 11:26 pm »
I recently went through a similar situation -- i just closed a show that was a world premiere. The director was there every show -- but mostly because we had a talkback after every performance that she wanted to be there for. 

But she was great - she let me do my thing and asked about thing the few times that cue were off, but didn't press anything and didn't give me or the actors notes.  In fact, she actually said to me at tech,

"I just want you to know, I totally trust you, and I know this show is yours now, but as you can imagine, its like my baby and  I'm going to have a really hard time giving this one up.  you just do what you do and tell me to back off if I go too far!" 

But she and I work together a lot and she is a really good friend of mine so we understand each other like that...

I would just say, "thank you very much for your concern; problem such-and-such is being dealt with accordingly."  That's really all you need to say, at this point.  The director is allowed to ask questions and request changes (unless the contract specifies that he/she can't), but you are also allowed to shut your book and say "the show is open, I'm not changing Q-ing."  (which i've done before...)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:33 pm »
Thanks for your input.  That is what I was basically thinking (the just smile and nod, and reassure him it is all take care of), I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base.

:)

riotous