Author Topic: RUNNING: Maintaining the Show  (Read 4462 times)

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
RUNNING: Maintaining the Show
« on: Jun 20, 2011, 12:59 pm »
To me, one of the most difficult parts of stage management has been learning to maintain the show after it's open. It takes a lot of sensitivity, connection to and knowledge of the production, and people skills to nudge the various elements of a show so that the original intention is maintained throughout the run (and I don't even work on particularly long runs!)

(as just came up on another thread) I like to do a check-in post-show with the actors. They can tell me how the show went for them, so that I can make any calling adjustments that I need to (actors are not the only ones who need to maintain their performance!) and give any notes. If there is a particularly sensitive note, I pull that actor aside separately.

I like to post the previous show's runtime on the callboard with the sign in sheet sothat the actors can see how the pace of the show was. If a show is 5 minutes longer than the day before (or even 1-2 minutes), it can help the actors get back on track. For some shows, it helps me to note the length of each scene in my script- that way I can tell where we added/lost time.

I don't generally send a separate report out to actors, but I do sometimes tack a note onto the daily call when I send it out. (usually more administrative business rather than performance notes).

What are your best methods for maintaining the show?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: RUNNING: Maintaining the Show
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:24 pm »
Maribeth, as you know, I too am a huge fan of checking with cast members after the show from the start of previews - it allows for a two way conversation.  Just asking them if they have notes will allow them to get things off their chest, and also help you nip notes in the bud, and then I can turn around and give notes right away - but face to face and in a way that allows an artistic conversation to happen.

I am not a huge fan of posting run times . . . the issue is, that sometimes the run time is NOT the best measure of a show . . . the show could have been three minutes longer, but it could have been because of laughter, applause, etc . . . it could have been the same time as last night, but still felt rushed.  Yes, the run time is a tool, but be careful about relying too much on it.

One of the tricks I use, especially on a long running show, I stop watching "the whole" show and instead pay attention to one performer, and watch their entire track.  Or, I pay special attention to one scene more then another.  Something to shake up my eye and my mind and keep things fresh - especially when I am watching form the house.

I find that during rehearsal, if you take down buzz words the director uses to direct a scene, you will find it helpful to reuse the exact words the director used.

Also, I find it helpful is to take the director for a walk, and ask them what they want an eye kept on, what they are worried about, what they would like to see grow, and what they want to make sure does not get out of hand.

I also am a huge fan to letting the actors admit their own mistake:

Me:  "So, Scene 2 seemed a bit off tonight"
Actor: "I have no idea what you mean."
Me: "Your blocking seemed off, and there seemed to be a whole new intention on the first couple of lines - was something wrong?"
Actor: "Oh, no, I was trying something new."
Me:  "Oh, well, I don't think it was completely successful, can we go back to the way we rehearsed it . . . (give a good reason, quote back some director's words here).

Getting the actor to admit there was a issue is half the battle some time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2011, 07:23 am »
One thing I've found useful in shows where there aren't a ton of cues is to mark the time stamp on the corner of the page as I follow the cast along. After a few performances you'll get a sense of how the show is doing, and even of which pages may be causing delays or problems. Yes, applause and laughter changes the times significantly, but that's ok.

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2011, 12:02 am »
I am not a huge fan of posting run times . . . the issue is, that sometimes the run time is NOT the best measure of a show . . . the show could have been three minutes longer, but it could have been because of laughter, applause, etc . . . it could have been the same time as last night, but still felt rushed.  Yes, the run time is a tool, but be careful about relying too much on it.

Well, this is true. I find that it's more indicative for some shows than others. There are the shows that vary 5 minutes from show to show, with laughter and applause, or just how the show plays, and there are plays that even a minute longer or shorter can be an indication that something was very different. It's a good point- a tool to be used but not leaned on too heavily.

Definitely second the idea of noting the director's exact words from rehearsal- I find that a huge part of talking with actors about artistic aspects of the show has to do with using the right language.