Author Topic: RUNNING: Director Wants Excess Crew  (Read 3238 times)

pwalmsley

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
RUNNING: Director Wants Excess Crew
« on: Feb 12, 2011, 03:48 pm »
The Director on a show I'm going to be Stage Managing later this year and I have been discussing the crew requirements, now that the set design is complete. Essentially, the set doesn't change throughout the show, there aren't any trucks or anything to be moved on and off during the show, and as far as I'm aware, the show is really rather light on props. However, the Director is requesting 6 crew backstage, plus myself who will be calling the show, in addition to two followspot ops. Now gathering these crew isn't a problem for me, but I can just see them sitting there for the entire run doing nothing! That would reflect badly on me, as I'm the one who's their direct superior and asking them to come in (on a voluntary basis), taking up their free time, and for them to not have any work to do during the show would be really rather awkward. Usually when I do shows with this company, we have myself, plus two crew members at either side of the stage, and two followspots. I've tried asking her what the crew are going to be used for but she never replies! There's plenty of time before the show, it's only just been cast, but what am I to do? There's not going to be anything for the crew to do during the show, and yet she's demanding that I bring them in!

Edited for formatting & subject-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2011, 06:41 pm by Rebbe »

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: RUNNING: Director Wants Excess Crew
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:55 pm »
Is there anyone else in the decision-making process, like a production manager, whose opinion should be considered? Is this educational theatre, community theatre, professional theatre?

If it were me, I would probably tell her that I would be happy to consider using additional run crew, but so I am being considerate of their time, that I want to be sure we really need that many crew. (it's possible that she has something in mind for those other run crew during the show, but if so, it's important for you to know that.) I would suggest that we set a date for that decision to be determined, and during the rehearsal process, that you carefully note how many people are needed for each task. Then, at the agreed-upon date, you could both re-evaluate.

Based on what you said, I'm assuming that you have been emailing her and she never responds to your crew inquiry. Can you try calling her or asking her in person? It's harder to dodge a question face-to-face.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2011, 10:57 pm »
Are there any quick costume changes? I did a show once that had several quick changes and the nights we were lacking volunteers were a bit more hectic.

pwalmsley

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:22 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the replies, it's a bit of an odd situation since I do the duties of the Production Manager in my role as Stage Manager for the company, so there isn't really anybody above me I can ask! I don't think there should be any quick changes either really, not that sort of show - everybody stays in similar costume throughout.

I will definitely note down crew requirements for each task during rehearsals and then go to her with my idea of how many crew we need! I've got plenty of reserves I can call upon if necessary at relatively short notice so it'll be fine if it later transpires that there will be more crew needed.

As for the type of show, we're a local amateur, but very highly regarded, plays and musicals society, but we're performing in a professional venue and we run it like a professional show.

Thanks very much!

Paul  :)

riotous