Author Topic: REHEARSALS/RUNNING: 2 Shows in Repertoire  (Read 5233 times)

madiobrien

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Mad Dog Theatrical Productions
  • Affiliations: Texas A&M, USITT
  • Current Gig: Texas A&M & San Pedro Playhouse
  • Experience: College/Graduate
REHEARSALS/RUNNING: 2 Shows in Repertoire
« on: Apr 30, 2011, 05:58 pm »
I have stage managed many shows, but this summer I have the opportunity to stage manage 2 shows in Repertoire for the first time. It is in an academic setting and we will be performing "Antigone" & "Bad Dates" for 3 weeks, each show performing every other night.

I was wondering if there is any advice specific to this type of production other than keeping to show bibles and just doubling what you would do for one show. Some of the cast members overlap and we are planning to share the same set and light plot as much as possible. Any advice?

Edit to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2011, 09:30 pm by Rebbe »
Mad Dog.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
Re: 2 Shows in Repertoire
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23 am »
I've done this once - I treated my rep pieces as two separate productions, and I kept two   completely different books. We did use the same set (at least most of   the pieces) and our light plot was the same. Since you're sharing the set and light plot, that should help you immensely. What should be kept in your mind are the props and costumes - which I assume will be different. At least, they were in my experience.

Due to space limitations, we couldn't have both shows worth of props sitting out at the same time (and for those overlapping actors, it would only confuse them to see last night's props), so we made a plan. We labeled the 1st show directly onto the prop tables/cabinets. When it was time for the 2nd show, we would store all of show 1's props into boxes labeled for each area and put them away in the trap room. Then we put down a rubber shelf liner that had the show 2 prop table layout taped on it, onto the tables and in the cabinets, then put out show 2's props. (You could also do this with butcher paper.) Then we'd put all of the shelf liners and show 2 props away when it was time to go back to Show 1. Worked out well for us.

As far as the costumes, due to the size of the casts and the space available, show 1 couldn't exactly be put away, but we made best efforts to set those items out of the way, so that show 2 had room. Depending on how dressing rooms are laid out, actors need to be warned that the space is shared (only those overlapping would not have to worry about this), so show 1 may need to store their makeup/personal items out of the way, so that the actors for show 2 have room to get ready. And vise-versa.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Best of luck to you!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:41 pm »
Everything BayAreaSM said. I just finished doing two shows in rep...we had "changeover boxes" for each show that held props, set additions, and everything else that wasn't shared. End of each night, everything for show 1 was put into the changeover box and stored, and the changeover box for show 2 was brought up.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:20 pm »
A few rep tricks I've used over the years:

1. Spike marks.  Cover all marks for each show with marley tape.  When turning over from show 1 to show 2, cover the marley for show 1 with black gaff (or whatever color gaff is least conspicuous on your deck).  I then add a spike mark check list to my turn-over list, to make sure I have uncovered all of the marks needed for each show. 

2. I agree with the above posts to keep separate books for each production but, with overlapping cast and creative staff, I highly recommend you duplicate basic documents in both books (ie. contact sheets and calendars for both shows in both books).  Invariably, cast member will have a question or concern about show 2 while in rehearsals for show 1.

3.  One notebook, two clipboards.  Notebook for all notes for both productions, but a separate clipboard for each show with important rehearsal running documents (presets, cue sheets, etc).  This is definitely a personal preference, but a system that worked really well for me.  Helped me avoid accidentally leaving preset for show 1 in binder 2.  I can't explain why, but it worked.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12 pm »
I currently work in a rep theatre, and just a couple months ago had two shows in performance, one show in Tech, and two in rehearsal at the same time.  All advice above is very, VERY good, and I would take all of it to heart (as in, I have done all of those items).  I strongly agree with separate books. DO NOT keep the same book for both shows, even if there is a lot of overlap.  There is too much potential for confusion. 

anole

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:33 am »
Lots of good advice above. If there's any way you can find space for enough props tables to hold all props without putting them into boxes, do it! Build shelves! It saves a ton of time preshow/postshow during the run.

Another thing I found helpful for cast members (especially younger actors) in multiple shows- post something indicative of the show you're about to do in the dressing rooms. Examples are print-outs of the promo photos, a photo of the set, or a schedule for the day with the name of the show in very large, bolded letters.

riotous