Author Topic: SCENERY: Linoleum Floors for a touring show  (Read 4043 times)

jehansam

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
SCENERY: Linoleum Floors for a touring show
« on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:19 am »
First post, so forgive me if I don't know how to tag right. :(

So we've gone and purchased linoleum floor to cover a 12 foot by 14 foot area which marks the acting area.

We lay this down wherever we go on whatever stages, for shows.
I would have got dance floor, which I know how to lay down well, the problem is lino is not as stretchy, as its supposed to be put into offices and glued down. That's how it's smooth.

Do you have any advice on a step by step procedure to lay this down, and tape it all down, so that its smooth, doesn't ruffle (from being rolled up), in a manner that is repeatable, easy to lay down and strike after shows. 

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
Re: SCENERY: Linoleum Floors for a touring show
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:56 pm »
Is dance floor stretchy? I wouldn't have said it is....

My main query is why you can't treat it as though it was dance floor. What do you fear will happen?

C

dance stage manager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Canadian Actors' Equity Association
  • Current Gig: National Ballet of Canada
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:31 pm »
Yes, most dance floor is stretchy (to some degree).  The thinner the floor , the more the floor can be stretched when it is laid.   Over the length of a 40' panel, it might be possible to pull another 2" or 3" out of it before taping it down.  Floors are often stretched when laid if they are older, or have creases or ripples that have become semi-permanent texture in them.  The problem is that the more you stretch a floor, the more you need to continue stretching it as you continue to use it.  Stretching a floor can distort it over time.

If you're still looking to lay a standard linoleum floor, I would recommend experimenting with some double sided tape (depending on what surface the lino will be laid on), then a line of tape on the top surface where panels meet.  Could you have a low-profile material around the outer edge of the lino to keep it flat (flat bar iron or steel)? 

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:48 am »
Hi jehansam, welcome to SMNetwork.

Linoleum is certainly not made for temporary/touring applications, so I think you'll run into issues if you're putting the floor down and taking it up every day.

How about cutting some plywood to match your 12x14' dimensions and permanently laying the linoleum on the plywood?  When it's time to strike you simply pick up the plywood and load out.  You'll still need to find a way to keep the plywood from moving about the stage, but I think that's a better solution than using a product designed for permanent installations in a touring manner.

I'd also suggest you head over to the Intro's Board and tell us a bit about yourself.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:31 am »
KMC307's suggestion is really great - and a good carp can make one adjustment, that it can fold on itself so it lays flat when open, but takes a whole lot less room when struck. But also, easier to carry when it takes less space.

I have seen this done accordion style, or just a simple half-way fold. Even being able to fold it in half would mean carrying in a standard car instead of requiring a truck. Unless you have a truck anyway?

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2014, 01:10 pm »
KMC307's suggestion is really great - and a good carp can make one adjustment, that it can fold on itself so it lays flat when open, but takes a whole lot less room when struck. But also, easier to carry when it takes less space.

I have seen this done accordion style, or just a simple half-way fold. Even being able to fold it in half would mean carrying in a standard car instead of requiring a truck. Unless you have a truck anyway?

You'd need to make a slit in the linoleum where it folds though, otherwise you would probably quickly end up with a permanent crease in it.