Author Topic: REHEARSALS: On Location in NYC  (Read 2868 times)

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
REHEARSALS: On Location in NYC
« on: Jun 24, 2010, 05:21 pm »
I Stage Manage full-time for an Equity theatre company in Ohio and our first show of next season is a new musical that is going to rehearse in New York City.  The show has been workshopped there a couple of times and the cast, director, and designers are out of New York so my company is sending me and my assistant there to rehearse it before we bring it back to Ohio for tech and performances.  It will probably go back to New York for an off-Broadway run from here (without me, though).  I'll have a week of prepro there and 3 weeks of rehearsals and the producers will put my assistant and I up in housing yet to be determined (my assistant is the Stage Management apprentice for the full season who I just hired and who will have only started the week before we leave, so that will be an adventure as well...)

I'm excited of course, but there is a lot that I still need to work out.  I'll be in New York starting the last week of August and if anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it!
Some things I'm wondering about...

*Is anyone doing a show in New York the last week of August that I can come shadow?  Or want to meet up for drinks?
*I think I need to negotiate a per diem and haven't done this before -- any tips?
*I have a fantastic support system at my company here that I will be doing without in rehearsals for this show and I'm a little nervous about that.  Has anyone else been in a similar situation before? 
*Any tips on finding/borrowing/creating rehearsal props in NYC?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions, I just haven't had much time to think about this yet.  Any thoughts you have would be most appreciated!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: REHEARSALS: On Location in NYC
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:42 pm »
Per diem is subjective and depends what you need it to cover.  My company (non stage management or theatre) provides a per diem of $40/day domestic and $85/day international.  This is to cover meals.  Lodging and travel are paid for by the company.  $40/day is great in a place like Salt Lake City, but once you hit Vegas, Miami or New York that money goes up in smoke fairly quickly... 

You said they supplying housing, have you discussed transportation or do you have a plan?  All things to consider. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2010, 12:12 am »
A lot of the housing / per diem issues may be dependent on the AEA contract you are on (that is no per diem may be required if your housing meets certain requirements).

I rehearsed a show for an AEA theatre in New York city . . . and it was very challenging without that full support system - but be very clear with your production manager on what will be expected of you.  Try to get a dedicated rehearsal space - if at all possible - otherwise, you may find yourself striking down a rehearsal every day to bare walls - which will eat up a lot of your time.  I would try to do as MUCH pre-production ahead of time - if possible - like submit a prop list ASAP to your prop department and see if they can put together a rehearsal prop supply.  Same things with costumes.  As much as you can bring with you the better.

Also, be very clear with your production manager and your PA about duties . . . you may find in NYC - especially since you are rehearsing away from your home base, they maybe expecting you to fill in the gaps of missing staff.  Be careful you don't go out of your comfort zone.

(As far as doing a show or drinks, let me know . . . my show is running and I am always up for drinks)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2010, 12:28 am »
As far as the props question - I find it pretty much the same as creating or obtaining anywhere else, but sometimes it takes some extra time to pick things up.

Also, something to consider is your rehearsal space: will you be the only group in there? Can you store props and other rehearsal materials there? This can greatly effect what you have in rehearsal when.

I don't have any work lined up for August currently, but I'm always up for a meet up!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

klcurrie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2010, 06:02 pm »
having just gone through this myself I agree with everything posted already - do as much prep as possible before you go; take as much as possible with you. Think about what you'll need as well as what the show will need - will you have access to a copier that isn't prohibitively expensive? what about a printer? stock up on office supplies and extras of everything.  Take as full a roster of rehearsal props and costume pieces as possible.  Is there a plan for what will happen when things get added? (in our case we had a weekly delivery from home but we were a lot closer than Ohio).  And stay as in close contact as possible with your production manager at home so there are little or no surprises when you get back.   Working on a new piece, is there a plan for how script changes will happen?  Make sure you know where the closest kinkos and staples are and be prepared to make daily trips.

And don't forget to think of your personal needs as well - don't just bring necessities but an item or two that will make your housing feel like home - a pillowcase or your own towels, a picture or two.  And remember just because you are in New York, doesn't mean that you shouldn't take a night and just head home after rehearsal.  It's great to see as much as possible, but you don't go out every night at home, do you? 

Good luck!