Author Topic: PROPS: The Seagull  (Read 4137 times)

dramabrit58

• New to Town
    • View Profile
PROPS: The Seagull
« on: Mar 09, 2007, 10:36 am »
OK, so I posted a question about The Seagull attaching it to another topic...... whoops..... it is early in the morning.  So here's my problem.  I usually Stage Manage but have been asked to do props for Chekov's The Seagull.  I have to create a dead seagull...... my idea is to get a large white sock, form it, stuff it and then add feathers to the outside.   Does anyone have any other ideas.  The seagull has to be dragged across the stage.  Love to have some suggestions.  I also have to purchase a stuffed seagull.  Does anyone have any sources.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:11 am by PSMKay »
:)

birdie4113

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: The Seagull
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2007, 12:02 pm »
Anytime I had to do props for a show, I would try to make things out of paper mache (I think that's how you spell it).  It's pretty durable, and a lot of fun to play with.  You could probably get it better formed then a sock.  Anyway, it's just a suggestion.
Bridget

dramabrit58

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:15 pm »
Thank you for your idea.  I had thought about paper mache but it needs to look soft and I think it might give the look of being hard.  Although when something is dead it goes into rigormortis (sp).  I will certainly try and play with the idea.  I love getting messy.

:)

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:07 pm »
Papier Mache would probably be noisy being dragged across the stage. I'd go for a soft-sculpture, like your sock--perhaps a fuzzy one which would look like feather from a distance--with soft sculputred wings covered with feathers or cut fabric that looks like feathers... Of course, I'm the guy who sewed up a fish for a play a couple of weeks ago. It was a red beta which we affectionately named "Phish Styx". Put it in the little plastic aquarium, left the aquarium on the table back stage and several cast members thought it was a real fish.

Owen
All the world's a Stage...