Author Topic: FORMS: Performance reports (split from The Hardline)  (Read 6512 times)

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
FORMS: Performance reports (split from The Hardline)
« on: Jun 13, 2007, 12:14 am »
I was once asked by a producer to document, by using the performance reports, the habitual lateness by a crew member so the producer could begin dismissal proceedings with the person's union rep.  It is important to document what happens at the show on any given performance.  Matthew and Scoot are right in what they say.  These reports are often the only written record of that specific performance (other than financial and box office records).  If you write everything down fairly and consistently there will be no complaints or issues if someone has to go back and look something up (no playing favorites in recording lateness or mistakes - and by all means include yourself when you are late or screw up...).  That is not to say that you shouldn't be discreet about what you put into the report (not everyone needs to know the specifics of somebody's non-work related illnesses or specifics of their legal problems except as it relates to the person's ability to do their job).

EDIT - This whole thread was split off from The Hardline, originally in response to whether or not Performance reports were required.  We got a bit off track, but the discussion about the utility of the reports shouldn't be missed just because it's off topic.  --PSMK
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:31 am by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Performance reports (split from The Hardline)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2007, 04:25 am »
in reagards to sickness and illness noting, I may have said this before, my new thing is to list things as "personal health concerns" if it is not worked related.  (Trying to keep my nose clean with laws.)

My performance reports go out to like 40 people, so saying someone is sick by saying they have a personal health concern is usually enough to report  (this way I am not revealing any private medical concerns).  But, if it is a work related injury, I go ahead and document "splinter to left index finger", "bruise right elbow", etc and note that an accident report was filled out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2007, 10:37 pm »
Well in a legal situation where someone gets hurt, you have documentation of the accident as well as any notes given about it. "The railing has been wobbling. Could someone look at it and see if it could be secured?" Haven passed that info along presumably someone else has l liabilty when that actor fell of the staircase. Or "Actor X has been moving between two pieces of set while they're in motion. Has been asked to wait until both are stopped before proceeding." No one's fault but the actor's when (s)he falls down and breaks a leg.

Just my two cents worth -

I did know a Stage Manager who was a bit new to the job, and wasn't regularly distributing her Reports agter each show.  From memory, I think there was a safety issue with a fog machine (although I'm a bit foggy on that... hehe... pun) which she diligently noted down in her report that evening....

... but neglected to show the report to anyone else.

When asked what she did about the problem, her response was "Well, it WAS in the Performance Report..."

Moral of the Story:  Make sure you distribute your reports to people who can act on what you've written.  Email and Callboards are wonderful tools.  That, or do it yourself.
Cheers,
Jem.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:16 am »
Quote from: jempage link=topic=2380.msg14575#msg14575 That, or do it yourself.
[/quote

I disagree here - it's not usually a good idea to step on peoples' toes.  Not only is it not your job, but you shouldn't invade and take someone else's responsibility (especially if it has an artistic impact).
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2007, 11:03 am »
An aside:  ::)

I make performance reports for every show- but no one wants them!

I file them with the final production notebook, but do not distribute them... another weird little ballet quirk!

Also- I make notes every day in rehearsals as myself or my ASM are able to attend them, and then do a weekly report on rehearsal notes.

Hey Ballet SM's - what do you all do re; rehearsal reports/ show reports?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2007, 12:16 pm »
In the dance world, I always make reports and filled them in my book/ files.  At the end of the year, I compiled the info in a general mass-distro single report. 

One of the companies that I work for now has just re-vamped the report system and each department sends me their notes (really detailed including merch sales, petty cash, flight info, hotel) and I compile everything into an engagement report.

smsgirl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2007, 12:44 am »
Am I the only one out there who does not find eternal joy in performance reports?  Yes, they are interesting, and insightful, and helpful for historic record, and legal reasons.  I don't have actors who are late (ever), if there is an accident, it is rare (and documented in 87 different forms) and really the performance reports serves its purpose.  But I don't have the joy you all seem to have to writing them.  Am I missing something here? 

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2007, 02:59 am »
I disagree here - it's not usually a good idea to step on peoples' toes.  Not only is it not your job, but you shouldn't invade and take someone else's responsibility (especially if it has an artistic impact).

Speaking of stepping on people's toes, I'm having a field day with you!  ;)
(See the thread on headset etiquette)

The particular case I was thinking "Do it yourself" about, was according to memory some carpet etc. that had come away from the floor backstage.  This particular SM's problem was that she identified the hazard, and then proceeded to write a report about it. Something like "Construction: please re-attach the backstage carpet downstage prompt side."

Of course, Construction didn't get the note until a week later, because of the lack of communication.  Had this SM simply got out a staple gun or the gaffer tape and fixed the problem, THEN made a quick note in the report, it would have been safer, and the trip hazard would have been avoided.

On a sidetrack, I did once work as an ASM for an SM who created a Visual Basic / Access Database application on a laptop during the show.  I think he'd set it up so that there were separate areas to write notes to each department, and he also had a timer control in there as well, so timekeeping was all done automatically (one-button click to time each different section of the show.)

At the end of the show, he'd hook up to the net and click the send button, and the notes that were relevant to the art department would get sent to the art head, and the notes that were relevant to the lighting or sound would get sent to lighting or sound.  Not that email doesn't have its drawbacks of course.

He was also able to print out a nice and neat SM report after each show, ready to be filed away, but I just thought that the sending notices to the relevant heads was a really good idea - it really cut down on the information overload that some theatre admin-types thrive on.
Cheers,
Jem.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2007, 03:40 am »
If you don't want to do a performance report after each show, then don't. Just make sure you cover what a performance report is meant to do elsewhere.

Ie: Track run times in a tabular format - periods along the top of the page, one show per line. Then give a "Departmental Report" each <period> along with "Urgent Action Items" report when something that needs dealing with urgently comes up (which gets immediatly sent to the department & management when written). For tracking actors who are tardy/sick/absent, note them in a separate section (tabulate it too) and incidents should be covered with an accident report.

For a 3 week run, the extra work involved in creating new paperwork is probably not worth it, but for really long runs, it may be slightly more efficient (and paper friendly)

goldbird

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Performance reports (split from The Hardline)
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2007, 03:31 pm »
Jem,

I agree with you that a note involving safety (such as the carpet comming up) should never wait a week.  However, depending on the theatre you are working in, the act of simply stappling down that carpet is a major union violation.  In the theatre I used to work for, a note in the report that night would be fixed by Carpentry the next morning by 10.  If your theatre doesn't work that way, you as the Stage Manager should be calling the person up to have it fixed asap (if you aren't allowed to do it personally), instead of relying on the fact that "it was in the report", and then double checking it was done before the next show.

As much as we all love paperwork, I think we all need to remember it's just another communication tool to get our jobs done.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
Re: Performance reports (split from The Hardline)
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2007, 04:08 pm »
Also Jem,

You mentioned the reason the carps didn't get the note is because of a lack of communication.  Had the SM communicated this effectively the note would most likely not have waited a week. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt