Author Topic: PROPS: Edible dessert  (Read 9998 times)

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
  • Experience: Professional
PROPS: Edible dessert
« on: Nov 06, 2010, 01:22 pm »
Ok, here I go again. I need two, small, individual plates, each with the same dessert. Circa 1930's. Edible - They take two to three bites each. Should be a "nice" dessert or somewhat fancy. Ideally cheap and easy. Any ideas? I couldn't see anything in the frozen dessert section at the supermarket last night. Should I make cupcakes and freeze them and then use as individual cakes and throw on some kind of sauce or whipped cream?? Any ideas would be appreciated.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: PROPS: Edible dessert
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2010, 03:09 pm »
Sponge cake shells! They sell six packs at the grocery store.  I can't find a good link to the mass market ones, but here's a link so you know what they look like:
http://redchillies.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/cherry_preserve-014-1024x870.jpg

Throw some sliced fruit, or jam or whipped cream on top and they look pretty fancy and sponge cake is super light and easy to chew/swallow. They keep well too and they're cheap.

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2010, 06:56 pm »
Amazing! With just maybe a spoon of fruit salad and a drizzle of chocolate sauce..  :D
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:02 am »
It doesn't read as fancy now, but Jell-O was becoming a HUGE thing in the 30s, and there were gelatin desserts in nearly every restaurant. It's cheap and would be easy to eat, though not sure how it holds up under stage lights if it needs to do that.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2010, 02:08 pm »
I've also been noticing more mini-meringues in stores, to be used similarly to sponge cake shells.  Again, easy to eat, and you could serve with some fruit or drizzled with chocolate or caramel syrup.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

pandora12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 06:23 pm »
What about a larger cake?  I'm possibly going to need a whole edible sheet cake each show...money is a concern, but the bigger worry is the one actor that is consuming a large portion of the cake.  Is there something that looks right but would be a lower sugar alternative?  Just using Splenda doesn't seem like the best option as there are warnings about consuming too much.

Of course I hope that this one actor isn't actually eating a whole cake every show, but as we get closer to staging this scene I'd like to have some options consider.  It doesn't need to taste like cake at all, just look like a homemade frosted sheet cake before and after being cut.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:26 pm »
You could also try making custard, which would be era-appropriate, easy to prepare (and keeps well in the fridge), fairly cheap, pleasant to eat, and would hold up well under lights--but audiences won't necessarily recognize it as a dessert, especially in North America.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 12:05 am »
What about a larger cake?  I'm possibly going to need a whole edible sheet cake each show...money is a concern, but the bigger worry is the one actor that is consuming a large portion of the cake.  Is there something that looks right but would be a lower sugar alternative?  Just using Splenda doesn't seem like the best option as there are warnings about consuming too much.

Of course I hope that this one actor isn't actually eating a whole cake every show, but as we get closer to staging this scene I'd like to have some options consider.  It doesn't need to taste like cake at all, just look like a homemade frosted sheet cake before and after being cut.

I don't know how cost efficient it would be, but have you looked into the idea of a sugar-free cake (no Splenda, Sweet n Low, Equal, etc.)

Also, making a cake from scratch, while time consuming, is often cheaper than buying one. It also allows a reasonable number of options for kind of cake -- perhaps there is a very light kind of cake that would not make the actor feel bloated after every show. Something like an angel food cake, perhaps?
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 03:04 am »
The shortcakes are a great idea for a mini-dessert since they keep at any temperatures and aren't at all heat sensitive. A dollop of whipped cream just before going on stage will look fancy and period enough to pass. You can also put vanilla pudding in two small fancy dishes with a dollop of whipped cream for another dessert that doesn't need to maintain temperature. I know snack pacs are very cheap at the grocery store.

As for large sheet cakes, The best solution, if the whole cake isn't eaten every night, is to make at least half of the cake styrofoam and then use a cheap baking mix to make how every much you need per night. That saves a lot of money, and Pillsbury now carries low sugar versions if that is a serious concern. Each box is only $1 if you catch a sale and can be mixed as a whole and then baked in smaller portions depending on the nightly needs. Just make sure your actors and clear on which portion of the cake is edible. :-)
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:51 pm »
Perhaps I am overreacting, but in all this discussion I started wondering who was taking care of this question on the other end. And while I love the idea of a freshly baked, store-bought cake for use in this show, I think this needs a step back.

Perhaps I misunderstood who is responsible for this. Seems to me this is a props issue, w input from Stage management about any food issues. Are we suggesting the SM bakes the cake?

Ingredients: That's $1 or more for the mix plus eggs, milk, oil - and TIME (!!!!!) to purchase these things, mix and bake the cake, the sheet pans necessary to cook it in and transport from, and the schlepping and storing issue itself, all on top of our already long day. Yes, a mix is a great idea, if someone else is doing it and being reimbursed and all. But to plant in your producer/director/folks running the joint's heads that this is part of the SMs job is the foundation for a major problem later on. Suggestions are terrific. Collecting ideas for the props person is great - and finding solutions others have used is one of the great resources of this site. But actually doing this? It's not your job.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 01:27 pm »
I think that really depends on your venue. I did food prop prep as part of my ASM track many times - the supplies were generally from the props budget but I would have to do the prep. I've done fake banquets, picnics, seders. I've also done laundry alone for a musical cast of 25 on a 6 week run.

If you're working in a union house it's likely that it isn't your job. If you're working non-union with no crew and no hourly? Then you're making dinner.

riotous