Author Topic: PROPS: Drugs, anyone?  (Read 8825 times)

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
PROPS: Drugs, anyone?
« on: Sep 27, 2004, 01:14 am »
So, how do you do drugs... onstage?

I'm working on a show where we need to have two actors snort meth onstage. It's a 3/4 thrust and they're all the way downstage. Is there any powder that would actually be okay to snort? Any other ways to make it work?

And another character smokes crack... does anyone know anything about that/how to make it look real?

Just looking to see if I can get some good suggestions; any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:14 pm by PSMKay »

Didaskalos

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Drugs, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2004, 02:34 am »
Snort any sort of powder SAFELY?

Is the realism worth the risk of having an actor choke on stage in the middle of the performance?  Can the action be moved upstage?  The audience will forgive well-played pretense sooner than poorly executed realism.

If not, you owe it to the actors to consult a doctor and research any potential damage that the actors could sustain in their throats, nasal passages, etc from inhaling any foreign substance.
Do it right the first time;  do it right every time.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
To Snort Or Not To Snort...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2004, 01:11 pm »
I would suggest that the actions involved be sufficient.
Snorting anything onstage could have all kinds of repercussions.

Kudos to Marcel...
Ordo ab chao

FallenRain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Drugs, anyone?
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2004, 01:00 am »
Yes, yes... putting something up your nose is not an ideal situation.  But there are directors and actors who will do anything for the sake of their art and forget that when you get down to it, we are just playing an expensive game of "make believe".

I did a show where one actor was supposed to watch another actor pull out some coke, cut it, and snort it.  This theatre has had to do this before and they use this vitamin powder... which of course I can't remember the name of... which is harmless to injest (they had some supporting research about this).  The problem, as others have suggested, is that your nasal passages aren't necessarily designed to accomodate powder and can become irritated by this action.  That's something you just aren't gonna get away from.  Another thing I've heard of is that instead of sniffing the powder up, the actor actually blows out hard enough to blow the powder away, making it appear that he/she sniffed it.

I'll ask the prop dept. what the name of that powder is tomorrow and get back to you.

Hope this helps!

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Drugs, anyone?
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2004, 01:45 am »
That would be immensely helpful-- thank you!

I also didn't think that snorting anything was terribly feasible... I just wondered  to what extent it was... and I know now that it's not. :-)

Does anyone have any ideas about crack?

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Drugs, anyone?
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2004, 04:35 am »
long long ago I had to build some for an anti-drug film - and (if I am recalling correctly) they told me it looked like hard rock candy - which, of course, will boil  and liquify nicely if set afire, being sugar and all - caramelizes and everything.

jazminhupp

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Drugs, anyone?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2004, 09:24 pm »
Vitamin B pills can be ground into a powder and snorted pretty safetly.  A small chunk of Shea butter looks like a crack rock but I'm not sure if you can smoke it.

-Jaz

empresscallipygos

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Drugs, anyone?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2005, 02:43 pm »
This looks like this is out of date, but just in case --

I did HURLYBURLY once, which had a lot of drug use.  We used lactose powder for the onstage coke, I think.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
Re: PROPS: Drugs, anyone?
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2013, 07:14 pm »

Snorting any powder over multiple takes can cause an actor to become congested. (Or just angry.) In that case, the prop masters will sometimes coat the inside of the coke straw with Vaseline. When the powder is snorted, most of it sticks to the straw instead of going up the actor’s nose.

That's an excellent tip. Great article find, Matthew!

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: PROPS: Drugs, anyone? (Article to snortable props)
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2013, 09:33 pm »
http://nypost.com/2013/10/23/what-actors-really-snort-shoot-and-smoke-on-set/

Gillian (Prop Master, Homeland, filmed in Charlotte ;D) would like to add that she told the reporter it was Dana that smoked pot, not Carrie.

riotous