Author Topic: PROPS: Drinks on the prop list?  (Read 7115 times)

LarisaAB

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
PROPS: Drinks on the prop list?
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:20 am »
Hello, everyone! I am having some trouble distinguishing between props on the prop list, and did a search on the site which came up negative, so I hope I didn't miss something and am not bringing up old thread topics :)

My question is about drinks. I'm constructing a prop list for Brighton Beach Memoirs. So on page 3 it says Kate is just "setting the table." Which dinnerware props does that entail - only silverware? The plates of food are brought out later during the dinner, and Napkins are set out later by another character. How creative can the stage manager be when writing the initial list; for example, can I include a tablecloth even though it is not mentioned? Also, several glasses are used before the actual dinner happens. There are 7 characters total, so should I just list "water glasses (7)," and then add a new glass every time someone drinks lemonade, water, and ice water before the dinner? The glasses are set out on page 12.

But, do we assume that the glass of lemonade Laurie has before dinner, for example, will also be her dinner glass, or are there two separate glasses for her character? Therefore, making the glass count fluctuate (Do we need 7 or 8 glasses total?). Should you always overcompensate the number of glasses, etc. in situations like this where the exact number is not clear?

As far as the liquid, if I initially list "water glasses (10)," can it be assumed that 7 will be on the table by page 12, and when I list "glass of lemonade: drinkable" later can I also assume that the prop master will use one of those 10 glasses, or do I have to list lemonade as a prop all by itself, with a note to use the already listed glasses? Is ice a separate item, as well? Or is "Glass of ice water," or "glass of water: with ice" ok? Are drinks even props - should there be a separate list for food and liquids?

I know the prop list is supposed to be easy, but I don't think the prop masters lack common sense.

Any information would be helpful - if you're not too confused! Thanks in advance!

Larisa :)
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:25 am by PSMKay »

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Drinks on the prop list?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:01 am »
My easy answer is: When in doubt, ask the director.

As for specifics, when it comes to the "glass of lemonade" adding a glass or already included my thought process asks if the lemonade is poured on stage. If the lemonade is poured on stage I would just put "pitcher of lemonade" and list the number glass separately assuming one of those glasses will be used for the lemonade. On the other hand if they bring the glass from offstage then it would be a separate glass not included in the "glass onstage" number.

As for the setting of the table, I think you just need to use common sense and stick to the basics unless the director specifies differently. So for the table cloth, if no character is mentioned as holding or placing a table cloth I would not include it. I would include enough silverware and glasses for the different characters. My personal taste is to only have one onstage glass for each character to avoid excess (unless otherwise decided). That would not include any glasses that are brought on at a different time than the setting of the table. Look for references in the script and the original stage managers notes.

If you want to be completely accurate I would love up the period you are setting the play and see what is tradition. Some time periods say the table cloth is always on the table while others demand that a new table cloth is brought out for certain meals. Look up decorum and it will also tell you how much silverware is needed (spoon, knife, fork vs. three forks, one knife). A lot of this is also under the job for your prop manager so don't stress over the details, but it will give you a better idea of what you are working with.

For my theatre, when you list an item like liquids, food, cigarettes or other items that need to be replaced for each show we put the word "consumable" in the notes list for that prop. It is not a separate list, but makes it easy to sort out of the list in excel if you need a list for someone to buy supplies from.

I hope that helps some.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:05 am »
It’s great that you’re paying attention to these details;  making the prop list is not necessarily easy.  On initial props lists, I tend to include more, rather than less; anything that might be a prop goes on there.   Then, discuss with the director, set designer, and prop designer/master about what they are actually envisioning.  It’s better to cross extra items off of the list than to forget something you might need.   At many theaters and colleges, the prop person will already have a list, and you can just compare your ideas with theirs, so you may want to check on that if you haven’t already.

Something like a table cloth may or may not be what the designer wants aesthetically, so I’d put it on the list with a question mark or in red or something  if you think it might be needed, but definitely ask about it.  Also, even though lots of glasses and silverware may be realistic, the director might opt to use fewer pieces for the purposes of the play (not needing as much time for characters/crew to set and strike so many items).  Yes, food and drinks are considered props, and are usually listed separately from the glass, plate, or whatever other item holds them. 

Rather than listing a total number of glasses for the play, it might be clearer if you format your prop list with Act & Scene headings, and note page numbers on which props appear, and the characters who use them.  That way it will be easier to distinguish between items set on a table in one page, and those carried on later.  PM if you’d like me to send you an example of this format.

Remember the initial prop list is just a first draft.  Things can and will change as rehearsals move forward.  Keep the design/prop team informed through rehearsal reports, but glasses and silverware shouldn’t be too hard to come by if the numbers change later, so just give it your best shot and update from there. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

SM19

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • A Keyhole View of Krysta's Kaleidoscopic World
  • Affiliations: Kabaret Charitable Foundation
  • Current Gig: North.Light Theatre (Actor); Webseries "Butterfly" (Principle actor)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:48 pm »
I was having the same problem a few months back. The show i'm doing is very detailed and has a lot of 'little pieces' to the sets. So what I did to distinguish between props and set was all the big things (ie Table, chairs, couch) was set pieces and all the additional things (ie table cloth, pillow, blanket) were all props. My prop lists are also very detailed because, as good as my memory is, I sometimes do forget things and would rather not have to go back into the script and look for the scene, then the set. I also like to make my prompt book 'Bus Proof'. That means that, if I get hit by a bus and cant finish the show, someone else can pick up that book and start where I left off. Therefore it should be very detailed.

It's awesome too that you're thinking outside of what the script is telling you (ie table cloth). Yes, mention it in your prop list. It's easier to write it in than take it out later instead of not writing it in and having to put it in after. Therefore, if your director doesn't want a table cloth, then you'd just cross it out. What I try to do when I first read the script is go over the whole stage in my head. I imagine what it's going to look like and then nit pick at it to see what other props would be there that you wouldn't really think about because they're so simple. For example: a kitchen scene. You'd have your big props (ie counters, shelves, fridge, stove, sink, table and chairs) then you'd have your props (ie fridge magnets, pictures on the fridge, salt and pepper shakers, etc). I'd do each set piece one by one to make sure that I have everything. I'd then bring it to the director to approve it and if they dont want something, just simply cross it out!

As for your glass example, it depends on you. I know personally that I dont like to overlap items through the entire show. I'd rather have two glasses rather than just one. But, if you think you can keep track of the glass and not have one of your crew members or an actor mis place it, then go for it! Its really a personal thing. It also depends on your budget. If you can afford a few extra glasses then great. If you can't, then you'll have to make do. I also like to think about the material that these glasses are made of...what if one gets broke during a show? So I'd have a few extra on hand just in case (because...we all know actors...)

Like I said before, my prop lists are very detailed and I'll make a seperate line for each thing. So you're example was Glass of ice water. I'd put down 1 glass, water, ice. All in seperate rows on my prop list. Now, if that isn't what you want, then you can also make sub categories. For your big category, you'd have Glass of Ice Water. Under that with bullets you'd put what you need for it (1. One Glass; 2. Water; 3. Ice).

Prop lists aren't as easy as people think. If you can't think outside the box, and you just use the script for what it says to get then you're going to have a really hard time down the road. Lots of people struggle with prop lists...dont worry about it :)

For a last note, I can tell you from personal experience (since I love detail) that when I look at a really detailed prop list and theres a lot of stuff on it, I stress. Try to avoid that. You can do that by making the categories as I stated above.

I really hope this helps :S and good luck :)
Second Place in a Stage Managers Competition = Half of an Award Winning Stage Manager! :P

LarisaAB

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2009, 03:19 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for your help!  Your responses are much appreciated  ;D

RafiWard

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2009, 08:55 pm »
Larisa! Found YOU!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2009, 10:35 pm »
Personally, I would put a tablecloth as a set piece not a prop, unless it is specifically referenced. A tablecloth is generally not interacted with, forms a part of the general scene asthetic and can be preset (or even built) on the table. I would also say that the number of glasses you write in your props list be the number you will need for rehearsing (ie 7). Your initial props list (in my opinon) should be what you need for rehearsals. As you rehearse and go through production meetings, you will work the quantities and placements out properly.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2009, 09:01 am by Mac Calder »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2009, 01:35 am »
In my world, a table cloth would be a prop, but props at my theatre are better at soft goods.  (They also do a LOT of set dressing, curtains, banners, etc).

The number one way to figure out if something is a prop or scenic piece is talk to your props and/or scenic department and/or costume department and ask them.  Theater companies are all unique in how they may split up things . . . at my theater, a table cloth would be a prop, no questions ask, but that not be the case in all theaters.  The best way is to ask the prop shop, scene shop, costume shop, LX departments and figure out who is responsible for what . . . I have had "items" that have been touched by multiple shops . . . (a smoking hat - built by the costume shop, rigged by the prop shop and LX for the smoking effects), ultimately when you get into cross over items, it's VERY important to discuss these items in production items, and figure out who will be responsible for what portion and under what time line.  For example, we had a candle wagon in a show recently, built by the scene show, dressed by props, powered by LX - it was important that each department get the piece in a timely manner to get their work done.    Often, you will have "clothes" that are props - never worn - but are often pulled - so we always get those things like "costume-props" . . .

In the end, it's best to ask.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous