Author Topic: PROP FOOD: Ketchup that isn't ketchup  (Read 8016 times)

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
PROP FOOD: Ketchup that isn't ketchup
« on: Mar 24, 2013, 04:45 pm »
Hey folks-

Currently working on a production of Boeing Boeing (yay farce!), and in the first scene one of the characters eats pancakes covered with ketchup. Yeahhhh. So we're trying to find a ketchup alternative so that she can scarf these pancakes without wanting to hurl.

Right now we're thinking either strawberry jelly (tasty, but not as ketchup-like) or red frosting (not as tasy, more ketchup-like, but either more complicated to make or more expensive to buy pre-made).  We don't need her to squeeze it out of a bottle onstage.

I know Boeing Boeing has been making the rounds recently- anybody remember what you used?
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: PROP FOOD: Ketchup that isn't ketchup
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2013, 04:53 pm »
could you blend strawberries and strawberry jelly - with a dose of food coloring - it might be a nice little post rehearsal science experiment - to eat over ice cream one day at the end of the week.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2013, 05:10 pm »
What about something like this:

http://www.getpeachy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/betty_crocker_cookie_icing.jpg

It's a little thicker, east to transfer to a squeeze bottle, and a little more manipulable that regular frosting.

(Is this at Rep Stage?)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2013, 06:36 pm »
White custard with red food colouring? (Make a batch once a week. Those ingredients would probably cost about the same as a can of frosting, and you can dump the leftover milk in the green room for people's coffee.)

The other thing with custard is that it's about as thick and runny as ketchup. I haven't made this recipe, but if it's like the yellow kind, it should work.

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2013, 06:41 pm »
White custard with red food colouring? (Make a batch once a week. Those ingredients would probably cost about the same as a can of frosting, and you can dump the leftover milk in the green room for people's coffee.)

The other thing with custard is that it's about as thick and runny as ketchup. I haven't made this recipe, but if it's like the yellow kind, it should work.

Similarly, pudding with a TON of red food coloring would be about the same consistency.

EDIT: Also fairly cheap/easy to make.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2013, 06:44 pm by Maribeth »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2013, 08:46 pm »
How about red bean paste? You can get it at Asian grocers. It's sweet and pretty much the right consistency.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:42 pm »
(Is this at Rep Stage?)

It IS at Rep Stage! You just closed Home there, yeah?
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:03 pm »
I forgot about red bean paste, but you can sweeten it with honey and that might make it an even better fit in terms of taste.

I SMed Home. Everyone that works for Rep Stage and for the Center is awesome. Maybe we'll finally actually cross paths after a performance of this one!

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2013, 06:21 am »
Not to ask a stupid question...

But has the actor/actress TRIED pancakes with ketchup on them?  It might taste okay.  I think pancakes with a bit of cheese in them would be nice(ish) with ketchup (or better yet chili sauce -- but now I'm getting sidetracked)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2013, 10:09 pm by Jessie_K »

StageManager

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2013, 12:16 pm »
Does the actress mind ketchup?
What if...instead of looking for a ketchup lookalike, make a savory pancake?  It will be smothered in ketchup, right?
Something yummy with white cornmeal? potatoes? there are lots of veggie pancake recipes!  A google image search of cauliflower pancakes came up with just pancakes that look like breakfast fare!

Pancakes with less flour (more eggs or other ingredients) slide down easier if she's wolfing them down.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2013, 07:40 am »
Must admit, my first thought was to do potato pancakes - anything with red food colouring will stain almost anything it comes into contact with. Ketchup - whilst a royal pain to wash out, is not quite as prevalent as red food colouring. Just make sure instead of doing a coarse grate of your potatos, if you go down this route, that you either finely mince them or blend them.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2013, 01:29 pm »
Potato pancakes would solve the ketchup problem- the issue is that the theater doesn't have a kitchen, just a microwave. We were hoping to microwave frozen pancakes, to eliminate someone having to cook them at home.

StageManager

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2013, 01:45 pm »
There are some brands of potato pancakes in the freezer section!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2013, 01:52 pm »
As StageManager mentioned, try a freezer brand or something like this option from Trader Joe's or a similar store if you don't have Trader Joe's.  If you contact them and explain the situation, they may even donate enough product to last you through the run.  You could also look at restaurants in your area which might make or serve potato pancakes, they could help you out.

When I was in college my university did a production of Suburbia.  One of the main characters drinks something like a dozen beers on stage throughout the course of the show.  Two problems - #1 the actor was not 21, #2 he would have been far too intoxicated to stand, let alone act, after that many beers.  A national brewery agreed to do a special run of lightly carbonated water in their cans for our production.  The actor was sober, and you still got that lovely "cracking a beer" sound inside of a real beer can.   Quite a long explanation for the punch line, which is reach out to local companies, they may be willing to help!
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 01:58 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 12:31 am »
UPDATE:

Since we're in our final week of the show, I figured I should let you guys know what we ended up using.

The "ketchup" is applesauce with a WHOLE LOT of food coloring in it. We tried strawberry jelly but it just didn't look right, applesauce had a much more realistic consistency & matte-ness (maybe not the best word? The jelly was too shiny is what I'm trying to say) and the actors preferred it. One fairly good-sized jar has lasted us through the run!

riotous