Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Your Prompt Book - Left or Right?  (Read 106301 times)

katykat29

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Merged Topics - "Left or Right" and "Your book Left or right"
« Reply #60 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:48 am »
I have to say I just finished an opera and had set up my book with score pages on the left.  It drove my director nuts when he went looking for something in my score but also trained him to *ask* me before diving into my book.  It also discouraged the actors from trying to sing offstage from my book - bad bad actors stay away from me while I'm calling the show!

LisaEllis

« Reply #61 on: Dec 14, 2006, 12:18 pm »
Since I get most of my scores double sided, I tend to make my minis double sided and just stick them in there.

That way, I don't have to spend hours recopying what someone already spent hours doing.  I can also not insert pages if it's a sextet or finale where there's only 3 bars on a page anyway.  Too much flipping too quickly!  If there's something I have to write in, there's usually room under the text.

I also find it handy during tech to just remove the blocking pages when they're in my way...particularly if I didn't even write anything on it!

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #62 on: Jan 07, 2007, 02:54 am »
Script/score on the left, cues and blocking on the right - right hand page is divided into 3 columns; the left-han column is cues, the centre column is info about cues (what they do etc etc) and the right hand column is blocking.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #63 on: Jan 07, 2007, 03:36 am »
kiwitechgirl - Do you ever have problems tracing the cues across the binder spine?

I took on an SM straight out of uni (I was PM/supervising SM) for a small show about 8 months ago and she photocopied all her documentation from her course work. One of which was a page that sounds a lot like yours. I ended up helping her to redo her book after tech because she had problems with late calling or mixed up calling as she tried to match up cues in cue intensive situations as she crossed the gap between the two pages.

No offence intended, as your method may be different and better suited, or you may know how to use this layout effectively, but I found this recommended layout to be wasteful of space and rather disfunctional. I would be interested in a bit more info - like what you like about it, how you came up with the layout, and any short-commings you have found.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Jan 07, 2007, 06:12 pm »
Mac Calder - no, I haven't ever found myself having problems tracing cues over the gap between pages; I use a two-ring lever arch file, so there's not that much of a gap between the pages anyway.  I rule a line from under the cue word (putting brackets around the word) across the gap in the pages and write the cue on the line.  I've worked with my books arranged in a few different ways, and this is the way that I personally find easiest.  Very occasionally, if the script copy I have is not full A4 size, I'll put the blocking underneath the script on the LHS, but that's only if it's not a complex show cue-wise; if it is a complex show I like to have the text bigger rather than smaller!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #65 on: Jan 08, 2007, 01:10 am »
Coolies.

tonytgrtchy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2007, 09:05 pm »
I am a right handed person and I have been putting the text on the left and my blocking on the right.  But it's just what is easiest and more comfortable for the individual.
-D.-

04sdwall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA membership candidate
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2007, 11:34 pm »
I think I must be a weird combination of the two, I have my script on the right side of the page with blocking on the left but then I always like to put my cues on the left side of the page on the right side.  I'm a leftie so I just try and find some place to put my hand and write without getting stuck in my three ring binder or get pencil all over my hand.  Either way it doesnt really work... sucks to be a lefty in a right handed world...

normeady

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Aug 03, 2007, 11:23 am »
My experience in stage management is in community theatre, which we often get new or inexperienced actors.  I setup my book with the script on the left and blocking notes on the most left column of the right hand side and the cues on the right hand side of the right page.
I find that I need to have the blocking notes available in case an actor ends up in the wrong place, I can refer to the blocking notes and correct there placement when they come off stage or during notes.

I have tried other formats (seperate calling book, or changing the left and right side) but I find it easier the way that I have been doing it.

Lola

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, SOHK (school of hard knocks)
« Reply #69 on: Sep 23, 2007, 05:57 pm »
I'm from the school of make one script that serves for rehearsing and calling.  Script on the left, blocking on the right, cues written in the space between the left margin of the script and the text.  When I make my script in the first place I rejig the margins to give me as much room as possible on the left.  I've never not had enough room to write what I need in a legible and clear way. 

I figure that as long as you aren't using complicated short hand and all the cues are written on the same side, it doesn't matter, a professional SM should be able to figure out what you mean.  Making a separate script to call from after rehearsals would be more work than I am willing to do.  I have enough to do already without making more work for myself.  Maybe I need a personal assistant. 
It's like herding cats except they can call you at home.

Swedenburgwk

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sep 26, 2007, 05:21 am »
I was taught blocking left and cues right. I have never seen a book the other way at all. i hope to see it that way soon, maybe someone take a pic and post it thatd be cool.
-Will

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #71 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:13 am »
I'm from the school of make one script that serves for rehearsing and calling.

I agree, no  matter on which side you prefer to put your whatever. I like trees waaaaaay more that I like a fastidious prompt script.

nystagemanager26

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Your Prompt Book - Left or Right?
« Reply #72 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:16 pm »
How you write your book is strictly up to you.  There is no right or wrong way.  What is important is that your book, the show's bible if you will, must be easy to read by any one of your assistants. 

I find it easier to write blocking on the left because I am left handed, but when taking over the blocking notes when I am the assistant and the PSM has to leave the room, I follow whatever pattern has been set up by that person.

Clarity is the most important matter -whether it is blocking or cues.  Otherwise what is the point.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:55 pm »
I'm from the school of make one script that serves for rehearsing and calling.

I agree, no  matter on which side you prefer to put your whatever. I like trees waaaaaay more that I like a fastidious prompt script.

I dont use my score for blocking, only for calling so that has never worked for me.  I prefer to have clean copy for calling that way there is nothing confusing for someone who might be calling it on the fly.  I also tend to have one of my assistants take the blocking script and clean it up and corect any changes.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Thomas A. Kelly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Your Prompt Book - Left or Right?
« Reply #74 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:05 pm »
I have always kept two books, a "directing" book and a calling book with minimal blocking, only as it applies to cues.... as such, it has always seemed best to put the pages on the right and use the left for quick notes, etc. When taking blocking, I usually have one quickly annotated book, sometimes messy and besmudged with eraseures and then a "neat" book after opening with stage direction on the left side, stage diagrams for large crown or chorus numbers, etc.

Here at the Opera, we use the same books over and over, so the format and style must be the same so that any SM in any season can pick up the book and run the desk or deck SL and SR. Our "rep" shows often only have one stage rehearsal before opening, so accuracy and clarity and non-personalization is very important... no one should have to ever figure out what the various symbols, etc mean, or whole measures and pages can go by in a trice!!!!

riotous