Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Scripts on cardstock?  (Read 4803 times)

jenk

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
PROMPT BOOK: Scripts on cardstock?
« on: Oct 07, 2005, 08:18 pm »
Hi all-
I was unpacking some old boxes and came across my old Stage Management Handbook, and for fun, I read it over again to see if I knew as much as I thought I did! Mostly, I did, but there was one suggestion in there that I had never really considered. This was to copy or print the performance book on reinforced or card quality paper to withstand the constant page-turning. Has anyone tried this? Does it make enough of a difference (I'd think on the long-running shows especially) to justify the time and expense?
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:33 pm by PSMKay »

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
outdoors
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2005, 12:20 pm »
I've found cardstock to be essential for outdoor theatre.  About 90 minutes after sundown, when the script paper starts absorbing the water from the atmosphere, it becomes impossible to write notes in pencil on regular 20# paper.  But on cardstock, no problem.  Also, the extra weight means it doesn't blow around as much in the wind.

Indoors, I find it isn't worth the extra work involved in maintaining a cardstock script - when the holes break on the three-hole-punched paper, I just tape over the holes and re-punch it.  Works like a charm, and demands much less skill than reinforcement labels.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
Scripts on cardstock?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2005, 04:28 pm »
My bibles get heavy and thick enough as it is!  I don't think I could deal with having to an entire script or score on cardstock.

I do sometimes put clear plastic protectors around pages that get lots of use -- for example, if there's a series of pages that the music is really fast I will put the plastic protectors on so I don't rip the page out as I turn it.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Scripts on cardstock?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2005, 12:17 pm »
I used to do it all the time, but it is time consuming and $$$$.  I reinforce regular paper copies now.
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

DAE

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Scripts on cardstock?
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2005, 01:12 pm »
Hi,

I have never used card stock, but I do use a 24lb weight paper for all my scripts. (as opposed to the standard 20lb). It is a slightly thicker paper that I feel works really well without adding to much weight to the book.

Have Fun

Gina

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM- As I Remember It Tour
Scripts on cardstock?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2005, 11:08 pm »
I usually just use the white circular hole reinforcment stickers that you can get a million of for a buck or so, and they clip right into a 3 ring binder. When I Manage, I use just regular paper- whatever my script/score was copied/printed on. When I Deck Manage, I will often times keep my run sheets and check lists in page protectors on a single ring clip. Using card stock for that would probably be worth while though.....hmmmm, gotta remember that next time I Deck Manage.