Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Prompt Script to the Theater  (Read 6720 times)

Ladytatooine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/
PROMPT BOOK: Prompt Script to the Theater
« on: Apr 28, 2006, 11:26 am »
What is the history on giving the original Prompt Script to the theater company at the end of a run? What's the reasoning behind that? Are there any experiences out there where the SM kept the original and gave the company a copy? What about the director? Ever heard of a Director wanting a copy of the Prompt Script?
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:17 pm by PSMKay »

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Prompt Script to the Theater
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2006, 12:57 pm »
Okay, the main reason the company gets the orrigional copy of the SM's bible: Rights Agreement

Basically, in the rights agreement for <show X> will be a section of what needs to be returned to the royalty house, and what the theatre can keep (and who gets to keep it). The standard contract has something along the lines of "All copies of the script must be returned, however a single copy may be kept by the hirer for archive purposes." There is also a section that deals with prompt copies etc. There is also the fact that any work done whilst in the employ of the company does in fact belong to the company. That means that if you want to keep the orrigional, it is by agreement with the owner of the company.

I certainly suggest you read over the rights agreement for every show you do.

Basically, the SM's who keep a copy of their bibles are often breaking the law in doing so - the company and royalty house usually turn a blind eye to that practice though.

As for giving a copy to the director - usually a really really really big no-no. Basically, you having a copy of the prompt copy is frowned upon but ignored, however if you give a copy to someone else, you go from "Possessing copyrighted material without holding the rights to it" to "Unauthorised distribution of copyrighted works". Slap on the wrist verses a couple of thousand dollar fine if the royalty house presses charges.

So from a legal standpoint - you should only have the orrigional copy of the bible if the company does not wish to keep it. If the company wishes to keep the bible, then officially, you should not have a copy.

And just a Post Script: Many royalty houses require that performance reports be sent in (some demand that they come when the scripts are returned, some do random audits) which means the company has to get them from the prompt copy. And as a PPS: Upon completion of the show, all confidential personell data (medical forms etc) should be destroyed immediatly. If you were also in charge of contracts, the company MUST keep the contracts (they often contain things like right of first refusal). I have seen 2 companies go under (that I know of) because they were sued for breach of contract because they forgot RoFR

Ladytatooine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/
Thank you
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2006, 02:11 pm »
Thanks for that explanation. I just always feel extremely down that I worked on something so hard and have to turn it in at the end of the run. Ah well. Maybe i can go to law school and become a great lawyer and change those rules in 3000.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Prompt Book
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:23 pm »
Basically in America, when you do a show, you are NOT supposed to photo copy the script, unless you have bought a script.  

(For example, if I am doing a script that has been published - I buy the script, and then tear it up once I photo copy it - that way I am doing one copy for one copy).

The reason to leave behind the SM bible (production book, etc . . . ) is they paid you to do the show, do all the paperwork, etc . . . they get to keep it.  Now, if you aren't being paid, I saw screw it.  Often time, a show's production book will be reference if the show is remounted, or people are trying to figure out something . . . like, "How did we do it during that show?"

As far as a director asking for a prompt book, I would ask them to ask the production management for a copy.  I would not give it out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.