Author Topic: PROMPT BOOK: Easy Question (Cut and Paste Prompt Scripts)  (Read 11928 times)

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone still uses the old cut and paste method of putting together their prompt scripts?  I personally don't like this method, but with the gigs I'm doing this summer I was given very poorly copied scripts and it ended up being the best method.  The real question is if you use this method, what kind of glue do you use?  I tried just an elmers glue stick, but my pages are just falling apart.

Thanks,
-Josh
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:24 pm by PSMKay »

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
Easy Question (Cut and Paste Prompt Scripts)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2006, 04:19 pm »
I've never done a copy and paste script, but it seems like a hassle that may not be worth it.  Have you tried typing up a new copy of the script for your use?  I've done this before, and although it takes up a little time, it's worth it because you have the script as you want it without any messy pages.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2006, 08:06 pm »
depending on the show, I have occasionally had to use the cut and paste method - however usually I retype or I use a photocopier to position and reduce as required. I usually use a regular glue stick (I will not give a brand name, because chances are you don't have them in the US) then photocopy the modified pages - It is quite tedious.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2006, 08:34 pm »
I do not personally cut and paste, but when I have a really lousy photocopy I will cut out the text portion of the page.  I cut off any nasty extra black marks that I can, and white out the rest.  Then I take my cut pages back to the copy machine, where I then re-center and straighten each page.  I put a piece of white paper on top of the cut page so that I don't get those weird black spots that can occur when the thing to be copied does not take up the entire 8 1/2 by 11.   It takes a little bit of time, but its worth it to end up with a beautiful, clean page.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2006, 01:02 am »
I still use the copy-cut-and-paste method sometimes.  I've found no other great way to do musicals when you're trying to integrate the script and the score.  At least not until they create the electronic library of music and scripts....

Plus, making copies (which I can do at the theatre) is usually cheaper than printing out an entire script, which depending on its length could take up a whole ink cartridge (which I have to cover the cost of since its on my own printer).

I suppose I could scan everything in and use photoshop...but my guess is that this would end up being more time consuming that copy/cut/paste, and then you're left again with the printer issue discussed above.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned...but then I think it also goes back to the "whatever works for you."

Elmers makes an AWESOME gluestick called the "office gluestick."  Specifcally designed purely for gluring 20-28 lb. paper onto other paper, and nothing else.  It's blue, and its the best stuff I've found.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2006, 01:38 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  Believe me I definatly wouldn't be using this method if I didn't feel it was the best way.  The script pages were copied two per side of an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper and were canted oddly so that I couldn't easily cut out one side without destroying the other.  So in interest of trying to save a few trees I choose only to recopy one side of the script pages and cut and paste.  In the end I probably didn't save that many trees, but I probably saved quite a bit of money at kinko's.  Thanks Again especially to BalletPSM.  I'll definatly be looking for that "Office Gluestick."

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
Splicing
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2006, 10:43 pm »
I recently had to do some cut and paste in scripts.  I used scotch tape.  So much easier than glue.  You can always peel it back off easily.

I was working with re-writes which were often only one or two lines per page.  It would have been a big pain to re-type that much, plus that way I still had the original lines under there if we ever need to go back and reference hem.

SMJon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2006, 11:04 pm »
I always put one page per 8 1/2 x 11 seet of paper.  Some books (Dramatist Play Service and Samuel French) pages can fit two landscape oriented across one letter page.  But then the prompt script is all cockeyed and such.  I keep it portrait oriented and cut and recopy with a slight enlargement so that the text fills the page except for margins.  It is much easier to read if it is enlarged.  DPS and SF scripts tend to be very very small text for calling.  In the blue light with contact lenses I tend to blow everything up.  It is amazing that I am 20 and need to blow things up already but these contacts always focus funny in the blue backstage light with small text.  To be safe I always to it that way.  And copies are free at the theatre so I figure it takes less of my own money to copy rather than scan and use my printer.

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2006, 02:54 am »
I would definatly recopy (and keep recopying until perfect) all my scripts if I didn't have to do it out of my own pocket.

Kirstpsm

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Weathervane Playhouse, Florida Atlantic University, Texas Christian University
  • Current Gig: PSM The Fantasticks @ Weathervane Playhouse
Re: PROMPT BOOK: Easy Question (Cut and Paste Prompt Scripts)
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2016, 04:16 pm »
If able to scan & then crop each page may be worth it, it can then be used as a pdf for editing software/notes on iPads & other such devices.
Kirsten Upchurch
MFA, PSM, PM, Educator, Actor

riotous