Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Your Show Sucked.  (Read 6776 times)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
PROFESSIONALISM: Your Show Sucked.
« on: Sep 04, 2010, 12:53 am »
I recently saw a remarkably bad show by a professional company.

The cast and material and designs were fine, but there were a number of sloppy errors: a major set piece was visibly broken and malfunctioning, there was inconsistent pronunciation within the company, I counted at least one (maybe two) blown entrance(s), I caught a moment in which a cast member simply forgot to sing, we could see cast members being indiscreet in the wings from the audience, a lavalier microphone was positioned so the actress bumps it against things (while it's live!), a few cues were jumped by various elements... as I said, sloppy errors. This is several weeks after opening, so it's not just growing pains, and if quality is sliding this much, it really falls on Stage Management to crack that whip.

I saw it because I went to school with a member of the stage management team, who buttonholed me immediately after the show. HOW DID YOU LIKE IT, HUH HUH HUH? WASN'T THAT COOL?! And I did my best to "ice the cake": the cast was strong, the music was excellent, the set design was impressive, some members of the company really stood out, and so on.

This has me wondering, though: what would you have done? Is it fair to give a true diagnosis under these circumstances? If you do give advice, would you expect a consulting fee? (;D)

I'm especially interested in anecdotes you might have of situations in which you've been asked to give similar critiques!
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2010, 02:00 am by On_Headset »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Your Show Sucked.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2010, 01:12 am »
There is no easy way around this situation.

I am a big fan of "Good Work" - it sort of makes it about the effort, and the final product.

Also, I do try very hard to find SOMETHING positive about the production.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2010, 03:19 am »
Those are some painful situations. Always remember that the trash you just saw is someone else's treasure. (I thought the situation needed a cliche...) I, too, stick with focusing on strong points and lean toward the word "interesting" to show that it was not my cup o' tea, but nice try anyways. Guess that is why we SMs have to get a good poker face...

Earlier this year I went to a show and long story short I didn't know how to assess the production. Thank goodness no one directly on the show asked my opinion and the only other person I had to discuss it with was on the same page as me. I was terrified someone involved would catch me before I escaped to safety.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2010, 03:36 pm »
Interesting...
IF asked, I tell the truth.
Kindly. Constructively. But the truth...

If not asked, I agree with Matthew and always find something positive to say.
Ordo ab chao

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2010, 09:26 pm »
I would not give a “true diagnosis” of the technical issues unless the SM was a close friend who asked me for that kind of advice.  Cast members being indiscreet in the wings is something I might mention if I knew the SM well enough, since that’s something  they may not physically be able to see, and could easily correct.  You could say “hey, maybe this was a fluke, but from where I was sitting in row D I could see Actress A changing her clothes and chatting with Actor B”.  Your other examples do sound like maintenance issues the SM should probably be aware of already.  If they're just asking "what did you think?" it doesn't seem like they're looking for serious constructive critisism, so I'd do as others have suggested and find something positive about the production to mention.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2010, 11:30 pm »
One of the lecturers I had at RSC said his favorite phrase was that there were "strong choices."
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dewitt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Hope college dance dept, Heritage Theatre Group
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2010, 11:57 pm »
When I am in a situation like this I try to encourage the person I know to talk with me outside of the theatre space.  Many times the friends who invite me to shows feel pressured to gloss over the problems when they think others can hear, but over coffee they are much more realistic about the issues of their production. I try to give an honest helpful answer if they are asking me for my feedback. If I can't tell if they want an honest answer or are in denial I may start by saying something like " I really felt for you when I saw that damaged scenery, I know how hard that must be to deal with." The way that they answer helps me to see if they are looking for help or just ego stroking. Most everyone who knows me knows that I am a really straight forward person, so I try to be gentle if my comments are negative but I don't worry that people expect me to lie.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2010, 12:55 am »
dewitt is touching on my twist to this question, but how do you guys figure out if people really want to have a serious talk or just need some generic positive reinforcements? I have a lot of SM friends, but sometimes it's hard for me to tell if they really want my feedback or not and you know as soon as you say 'do you want to know what I really thing?' they'll know. I feel like sometimes 'do you want to talk about it later?' has the same effect.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2010, 04:10 am »
Something I actually struggled with in this situation was the extent to which I'd just be telling them things they already knew.

The set piece, for example: the entire audience knew it was malfunctioning, it was plainly obvious, and if it hasn't made it into show reports, then no amount of casual conversation between friends is likely to improve the show. (Same for the cast member who didn't sing, same for the missed marks and entrances, etc.) They're professionals, after all--and as far as this show is concerned, I'm just some schmuck with a ticket.

That's what led me to my "Oh, I really enjoyed the music!" answer. No point in my driving home their errors as if they're completely incompetent.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2010, 10:21 am »
I've found asking "so, how do you feel about it?" away from the theater/folks involved will tell you if you can take it down that route or not.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2010, 12:08 pm »
A former artitic director here in DC was once in a really bad production of "Murder In The Cathedral" in NYC.  It was produced
in an old church.  He said that they all knew it was bad... the kind of bad where you would rather tell your friends you were
unemployed.

Opening night he was mortified to find out a friend of his was there.  At the party after the show he avoided his friend as long
as he could.  Finally it was unavoidable.  His friend greeted him and shook his head for an uncomfortably long time then just
looked at him and said, "Nice church!"

In rehearsals we all used "Nice church" for when something didnt go well or an actor tried something in rehearsal that didnt
work.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:38 pm »
I got into stage managing while taking theatre classes at the local community college. The reason I was taking the theatre classes so I could do better at my job of writing theatre reviews for my web site. Over the past five years of writing reviews I've learned: (1) leave immediately after a show so I can't be asked my thoughts right after a show; (2) never talk about the show within earshot of anyone involved with the show, or was in the audience of  the show, since the guy standing right next to you is of course the lead's brother; (3) you really have to know how the person will take your opinions; and (4) it's important to separate your comments of the production from your comments on the script.

"Nice church" is an awesome response.