Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: What SMs Should/Should Not Say During Casting Process?  (Read 10200 times)

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Matthew and kmc,

I don't disagree with what either of you are saying. I do, however, think that if I am doing my job as best I can with whatever personalities are in the cast, mentioning to someone that so-and-so was difficult to work with should not reflect badly on me. I agree that ultimately, yes, we are responsible for ensuring everyone gets their jobs done - but I would hesitate to recomend someone who made that hard for me to do, someone who impeded my ability to do my job.

I had a show in the past that came together wonderfully, largely due to the effort of the SM team and several of the actors. But despite the great result I would be very reluctant to work with that director again for a variety of reasons (lack of respect for actors' time/company rules, general attitude towards the show as a whole, etc). While I wouln't pass my opinion of him on to anyone based solely on that one show, I would certainly not accept that the poor expirience we had was the fault of any of the stage managers on that show.

I suppose it comes down to a case-by-case basis and, if I were hearing about a certain person from another stage manager, I would first consider how much I trusted the opinion of that SM and how hard they would have worked to make the situation go smoothly.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
I knew this would happen:

Tonight I had auditions for "Streetcar" and the director, who I never worked with before, asked me very specifically about a woman I had worked with in the past who was auditioning (this is one who was banned for life from any production taking place in the theatre, and for legitimate reasons). I said I know her quirks, I know how she operates, so I could work with her without problems. He pressed me further and asked specifically if she would cause drama; I repeated myself, then said I didn't want to elaborate much further than that. He told me that this morning he mentioned her name to someone else and this person said she was, in a word, "crazy." She's been asked to return for callbacks, but he said it would be for 'diplomatic reasons.'

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
and as we have discussed, you were asked directly, and answered discretely. All appropriate, and well done!

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
Sometimes I think the best answer is "Yes, I would hire the person again." or "No, I would not hire them again."  It is a very diplomatic and safe way to answer the questions. 

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
To some extent it's in the SM's best interest to not badmouth anyone: your opinion won't necessarily be considered in the actual hiring process (I've certainly worked with directors who were genuinely interested in my opinion, but only if I was agreeing with them!), and if That $%^#$ You'll Never Work With Again ends up as Polonius, you'll still have to work with the guy. If word gets back that you badmouthed him at the auditions, you're in trouble.

We might also consider that people change over time. If you haven't seen this person in 3-4 years, are you sure they haven't become a better, more professional person?

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
A lot of good points have been made in this  forum.  I would have to say, I have actually run into this situation, at the university level.  At auditions, and callbacks, I have had directors, OFTEN, ask me about specific people. Here is the standard that I apply to: is it personal or is it professional.  I have had personal problems with actors in the past, some even to the point of attempting to attack me outside the theatre because of something I did in rehearsal(aka, marking them late, telling them to be quiet, even for not defending them in front of the director because they were not learning their lines).  However, did this affect their performance and relationship to the cast? no. Therefore, I didn't speak about it, because it didn't affect the show, just me and them. I have a very thick skin, and I like to say that I can get along with anyone, even people I have a problem with, and I don't let that get in the way of someone's career.  I have never had to actually talk bad about someone, because if they were a problem, I was usually able to find a solution to manage them, and help the situation work itself out.

In theory, as SM's, we have the power and knowledge in some ways to ruin someone's career if we play it well. However, this is two fold , because it can also destroy ours. Therefore, I try not to say ANYTHING unless specifically asked.