Author Topic: MORALE: Pumping up actors  (Read 3442 times)

echayes12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
MORALE: Pumping up actors
« on: Jul 25, 2008, 10:35 am »
Working on a professional, but non equity show (the musical Assassins) with a cast of 14.  Preshow the cast has a group warm-up.  The past few shows they have been low on energy... is there anything anyone has had success with in terms of pumping up a cast?  What sucks is that after warmups we have 30 minutes of open house and they have to relax.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 03:05 am by PSMKay »

Londonite731

• Tourist
  • Stellar SM
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping up actors
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2008, 11:25 am »
Hello,
So, I find the first tool in concentration/energy boosters is laughter.  It works the diaphragm and clears the mind.  Maybe you could leave an extra 10 minutes or so before the house opens to simply play a warm-up game, bring in a funny story/joke, or anything that evokes some laughter.  If that doesn't exactly sound like your cup of tea, I suggest using your own energy as an SM (because I know I'm usually bursting with adrenaline before calling a show) to bring up the cast to your level.  I also find that talking about the show, such as asking them if they have any questions about cues, gets actors in the correct mindset before house opens.  I definitely feel disconnected from them once I'm in the booth and they're backstage; but you can always use your ASM's to keep an eye on them. 

Hope this helps,
Lindsay
Slip out the back, Jack.
Make a new plan, Stan.
Don't mean to be coy, Roy.
Just listen to me.
Hop on the bus, Gus.
Don't need to discuss much.
Just drop off the key, Lee.
And get yourself free.

spikesgirl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2008, 05:42 pm »
We go into the rehearsal hall for warm ups and the cast stand in a circle and practice their worst line - they always seem to have one line that makes them stumble again and again - this seems to help them work through it.  We also have a different member of the cast lead the warm up every night, so there always seems to be something different. 

Also, they tell a joke, because Lindsey is right on - humor helps them relax as well as focus upon the performance.

Charlie
Charlie

check us out at sctlivetheatre.org

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2008, 07:06 pm »
If it is a professional show, and their performance is lacking, you need to start having meetings with the underperformers, "counseling" as it is often called - ie a step before a 'proper' warning. Ask them what THEY can do to bring their performance back up to par. Also do a group "Counseling" session. You (as SM or ASM) have lots of other things to worry about without worrying about their warm-ups. Talk to the director, get him/her in to talk to the cast.

Ultimately, if they are getting paid to do a job, and their performance is not up to the required standards, then they are the ones that need to think about the issue.