Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Pre-show drink  (Read 8299 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
PROFESSIONALISM: Pre-show drink
« on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:51 pm »
Here's a non-theoretical theoretical for everyone

I'm working in a very casual environment for a cabaret, this weekend.  One of the Executive Producers is a friend of mine, actually my sister's roommate.  The Exec. Prods., who are also both performers in the show, like to have a drink or two before the show and at intermission; this has never affected their performances in any negative way that I can tell.  It's a very laid back show with very professional performers, and no safety issues beyond the normal issues you expect when a group of people gather in one place (people tripping over their own feet, etc.).  Occasionaly, a group will have a drink together at the theatre, after the show.  This is the second time I've worked for this group.

Last night, the Exec. Prod. who is my sister's roommate offered me a beer before the show.  It was a micro-brew I had never tried before, and I like trying all sort of diferent beers.  And, as this is a relaxed environment with others drinking before the show, I was tempted.  Ultimately, I decided no, because, "Sometimes, in certain circumstances, it's okay," is a slippery slope I don't want to be on when it comes to alcohol and work, and you never know when some sort of strange disaster is going to happen when you need your full faculties (not that I really thought one beer was going to reduce my faculties!)

So, given that it's your Executive Producer offering you something to drink, would you have had one beer before the show?

Edited formatting of label-Rebbe
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2010, 12:12 pm by Rebbe »
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Professionalism: Pre-show drink
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:12 pm »
For me it would depend on how long before the show.  Are we talking 60 minutes before the show or 6 hours?

When I worked on ships I'd often have a beer or two in port with lunch, but 6-7 hours before an 8pm curtain.  You just never know what can happen, always have to be on your toes.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:12 pm »
I would ask for a raincheck afterward. As the SM, I want all my wits about me, especially with that casual a show, which is when the bizarrest things go awry, y'know?

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:56 pm »
I would say no but I'd definately take him up on the offer afterwards :)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:41 pm »
Oh, after, definitely. I'm no lightweight, but it'd make me nervous I'd be sleepy!

I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:48 am »
Um, I think this has everything to do with your tolerance, and the effect of alcohol on your work.  Having a glass of wine at dinner before a show, given my use tolerance and body weight has little to no effect.  As adults, we should know our limits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nmno

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:39 pm »
Personally, I'm not a fan of drinking before work.  I have a pretty decent tolerance, but frankly, in the event that something happened, I'd hate for it to be suspected as a factor.
In your situation (of being out and taking a taste of a beer for sampling purposes) I'd probably have gone ahead with a sip - but had some other non-alc. beverage with my meal... 

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Pre-show drink
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:52 pm »
Hm...this one's tough. Me, personally, one beer before a show is not going to affect me at all, but it depends on a lot of factors. In your case, since it is with people involved with the show, then no, just in case something happened, and it could be listed as a factor for my judgement.

If it was by myself, or with family or friends that were NOT involved with the show, then maybe. Usually, I just try to avoid it at all costs. 

This also pesters another question: What about your crew and cast? I know that it is sometimes in contract that they can be fired for showing up to call intoxicated, however,  what if they just have 'one.'  Anyone have any thoughts?

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:27 pm »
For me, I have always chosen not to drink before a show.  On my current gig, in the contract, there is a no drinking clause before a show or in between shows.  It is a hard rule for all of us, cast, crew, band, management.  No exceptions.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:05 am »
For me, I have always chosen not to drink before a show.  On my current gig, in the contract, there is a no drinking clause before a show or in between shows.  It is a hard rule for all of us, cast, crew, band, management.  No exceptions.

Not a union-show, is it?

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:49 pm »
Mixed.  Cast and Band are non union, the crew is IATSE.

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:01 pm »
I think asking for a rain check is the best choice.  I'd never want it to be a factor, should there be an incident during that performance.  Sounds like you made a good choice.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:01 pm »
I would definitely say no, but take a rain check for after the show, if for no other reason than I have to be a role model.  I expect my cast and crew to arrive to their call focused and sober and, regardless of quantity, I could not, in good conscience, drink before the show.

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2010, 07:08 am »
I have to say in those circumstances, I'd be really tempted as well however on the two occasions where I thought it was ok, something went wrong in the show, but that had nothing to do with me. I therefore just think of it now as "bad luck" and don't ever touch it.. almost glad that happened though since I can see it being a "slippery slope" as you call it. Just say no kids :D
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2010, 11:26 am »
On the flip side, I once worked on a production where the first two public performances, I had a drink earlier in the afternoon, and the show went great, the one night I didn't have a drink - everything went wrong.  [Just saying, I thought it was in the shows best interest to have the producer by me a drink every night - just as insurance.]

Basically, the rule of thumb, you shouldn't do anything that would some how prevent you for doing the job as you have been hired.  I have had people "work out" too hard, and not be able to do their track due to muscle strain.  I had an actor once who thought it was funny to climb a tree, fell out and broke their arm.  You can go on and on and on and on . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.