Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Personal reasons NOT to do a show?  (Read 8347 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Personal reasons NOT to do a show?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 03:49 am »
I would continue until the producers shut us down.

Until I felt myself in personal danger, or that of my cast . . .

So, walk through a protest line, yes.

Rock thrown at me - not worth it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:23 am »
I've worked on some controversial productions in the past, and I never backed out.

The only play that was squeamish was a world premiere about child molesters and why they do what they do.

It was poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted. Many people walked out. Why spend your Saturday afternoon watching a terrible play about a terrible subject?

jrbucci

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
  • Affiliations: Point Park University
  • Current Gig: BFA in Stage Management @ Point Park University & Production Manager: Hula Lou Theatre Project
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 04:00 pm »

Because of this controversy, a campaign has been organized to close the show. How far are you willing to go before you call it quits?

Would you cross a picket line to get to work? Would anonymous threats of vaguely-defined violence (The phone rings. "We're gonna get you. *click*") throw you off? Would you be willing to endure excommunication from a religious organization in the service of your job?

If I believed in what I was doing, sure. I'd be in all the way. Cross picket lines, deal with the adversity, and even accept threats to a degree. Now if there is a guy with a gun outside my stage door...I'm taking the day off. Theatre is a powerful instrument of social change even now in a time where its popularity and outreach has been diminished compared to other points in history. I think I'd have to take a good, hard, look at what this project was trying to do. If the change is needed so badly, the people being supported are so oppressed, or the injustice is so great then it's the duty of a good person to stand up in whatever way they can. Theatre is my medium. This is the best way I can bring about that change. So bring it on I guess, if it's worth it.

On a general note, I've only been truly against working on one script and that was set in a alternate reality where child molestation was considered an acceptable form of showing "love for child". I drew the line. A very bold line. It ended up never being produced. Shocker!