Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: NY Cell Number?  (Read 9016 times)

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
PROFESSIONALISM: NY Cell Number?
« on: Aug 31, 2008, 02:45 pm »
Ok, so I'm moving to NY and am thinking I should get an NY cell number.  Does anyone think that matters especially?  I know people have cell numbers from all over the place, but for some reason that feels more official.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:50 am by PSMKay »

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: NY Cell Number?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2008, 05:12 pm »
I personally have maintained my out-of-state cell number.  Primarily it's because this was my primary contact info when I moved to the city and had already sent out numerous resumes.  Now so many people have this number it doesn't seem prudent to change it.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2008, 11:34 pm »
I am keeping my cell phone number simply due to the fact that many people all over the country all ready have it.  I dont think it really makes a difference.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2008, 11:54 pm »
Do whatever you feel best doing.  Nobody really pays attention to cell area codes anymore.  You might even get a better reaction to an out of state because an interviewer might be curious and ask you about it.

As far as resumes go, a NY mailing address makes a bigger impact than a NY area code.

SMExtraordinaire

• New to Town
  • Must respect the ball cap....
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Stage Manager's Association
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2008, 04:37 pm »
When I got to AZ I took on an AZ phone number, but it was because I moved here for good. If your being in a New York may not be a permanent thing (say only around a few years) you may just want to keep your current number. And was already stated - other contacts probably have that number so you may just want to keep it for that reason.
"It required a bland, conscientious temperament that expected abuse and never admiration. The best stage managers are usually women, who bear the indignity for the historical neccessity of continuity itself." - John Osbourne

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2008, 08:44 pm »
I've lived in Miami for two years now and still have a 412 (Pittsburgh) cell number.  As BeckyGG mentioned previously the current number you have is what people have on record for you.  In my opinion you want to be as easy and effortless to contact as possible, especially if you're going to be freelancing - who knows what old contact that next gig may come from!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:15 am »
I actually think having a New York number is important if you are trying to establish yourself in New York City - there is a hierarchy of the New York numbers, but having a 212 number is sort of a status symbol in some circles.

If you are trying to establish yourself in New York, you might want to look into it - it does look like you have been in NYC for awhile and establishing yourself as a New Yorker.

Good luck on the move to New York.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:28 am »
There used to be a real status-y thing about having a 212 phone number, but over the past decade, with the surge of cell numbers, it is no longer necessary to have a 212 prefix and still be recognized as a New Yorker,  In fact, when it come to cell phones only those who have ported their home numbers to a cell have a mobile 212.  (I'm not sure this prefix was ever issued directly to mobiles.)

917, 646, and 347 are now all recognizable New York area prefixes.

Don't make this decision more difficult than it really is.  If you want to change your number, then do a mass mailing of your new resumes once you have done so.  People change phone numbers and e-mail addresses all the time, and somehow survive!

Good luck!

I actually think having a New York number is important if you are trying to establish yourself in New York City - there is a hierarchy of the New York numbers, but having a 212 number is sort of a status symbol in some circles.

If you are trying to establish yourself in New York, you might want to look into it - it does look like you have been in NYC for awhile and establishing yourself as a New Yorker.

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2008, 10:42 am »
I agree with Ruth on this one.

Years ago, as an apprentice in summer stock, I was told that if I ever wanted to work in NY I had to have a NY address and phone number. I feel like this was before cell phone were as heavily used as they are today and I have not at all found that to be the case. I have a 215 cell phone number (and I've had it for almost 10 years) and have not had a problem finding work in New York. That I know of.  ;)

I think that as cell phones become a primary means of telephone communication for most people, that it is understood that you can live and work in New York and not have a New York number. I've worked shows where not one phone number on the contact sheet is a NY area code, and all of the actors and designers live and work here.

I think that if your cover letters clearly state that you are living and looking for work in NYC that you have no need to change your number.

There used to be a real status-y thing about having a 212 phone number, but over the past decade, with the surge of cell numbers, it is no longer necessary to have a 212 prefix and still be recognized as a New Yorker,  In fact, when it come to cell phones only those who have ported their home numbers to a cell have a mobile 212.  (I'm not sure this prefix was ever issued directly to mobiles.)

917, 646, and 347 are now all recognizable New York area prefixes.

Don't make this decision more difficult than it really is.  If you want to change your number, then do a mass mailing of your new resumes once you have done so.  People change phone numbers and e-mail addresses all the time, and somehow survive!

Good luck!

Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2008, 03:02 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I think I'm keeping my Chicago number for now.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2008, 04:36 pm »
I think that as 10 digit dialing is more and more prevalent in the bigger cities, its becoming less and less important what your area code is.  As well, folks now keep their phone number lists in their cell phone instead of attempting to memorize or write them down - you show up as your name on their screen verses  a number when they're calling you up in their phone.

-Centaura

Libby

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2008, 04:45 pm »
I can see both sides to this. I personally have kept my number since moving to the city 2 years ago. I've never had anyone question it. Besides summer stock all of my work has been in the city, so I feel like my resume itself shows that I've been doing nyc theatre. A friend of mine, who lives in the city as well, just changed his number. He leaves quite frequently and actually keeps going to another city to do work (This is also the city where his old number was from). He felt that it looked like he just moved to the city and wanted his resume to say that he was a local nyc sm. This is also after 5 years of living in the city, so I think it is different from people who are just moving here. You won't have ny credits and are just starting here.