Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Dressing For The Part?  (Read 104879 times)

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dressing For The Part?
« Reply #45 on: Apr 27, 2007, 08:10 pm »
I love the idea of EMT clothing, especially for those tech days when everyone's prop eyeglasses fall apart... but it's just about impossible to find styles that look decent enough to wear at the restaurant or bar afterward!

Has anyone had luck finding women's EMT pants that are nice enough for FOH moments, but also have the pockets and doo-dads for a good long tech day?

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #46 on: Apr 28, 2007, 04:14 pm »
The best selection of EMT clothes:
Galls
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #47 on: Apr 28, 2007, 05:49 pm »
COOL!

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2007, 07:53 pm »
Has anyone tried Paramedic's pants?  They usually come in dark colors, are very durable, and have tons of pockets.  They seem like they would be perfect, but I don't know.

Opinions????

SSM

'S what my wife wears when she's my ASM. They look good on her.

Owen
All the world's a Stage...

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2007, 08:44 pm »
If I am running the deck I prefer Military Surplus BDUs.  I go with summerweight as they are lighter, with ripstop (amazing, pants will never tear large holes).  They are also flame retardant for about 15-20 seconds of pretty direct exposure to flame.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

OfficerKrupke

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2007, 05:28 pm »
If I am doing deckwork or backstage I go for black slacks, black boots, black button down(with about 3 buttons unbuttoned); but if I am in view of the audience(in the booth) I wear the same outfit, with nicer shoes, and a colorful tie.  :) No complaints so far, and a few compliments on my ties!

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2007, 11:57 pm »
If I am running the deck I prefer Military Surplus BDUs.  I go with summerweight as they are lighter, with ripstop (amazing, pants will never tear large holes).  They are also flame retardant for about 15-20 seconds of pretty direct exposure to flame.

ahhh...but do they make that terrible rasping "shooshing" noise when you walk? I've thought about them, but remember nylon track and rain pants and the noise would drive me nuts (though only I would know I was going there).

Owen

To Believe is to Create.
To Create is to Do.
To Do is to Believe.

All the world's a Stage...

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 12:02 am »

ahhh...but do they make that terrible rasping "shooshing" noise when you walk? I've thought about them, but remember nylon track and rain pants and the noise would drive me nuts (though only I would know I was going there).

Owen

To Believe is to Create.
To Create is to Do.
To Do is to Believe.

Nope, they are cloth.  I don't think a soldier or SWAT team member would want the noisy *shoosh* either  ;)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Jessica Connelly

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2007, 12:19 am »
for me, prep week is work clothes- nothing you aren't willing to get dirty. Production meetings and for the first day of rehearsal  I step it up a bit. I wouldn't wear anything i would be willing to paint in but nothing i would want to go on a date in for general rehearsal. Tech whatever is most comfortabe!!
performance if I am calling the show usually go with something like i would wear first day of rehearsal or better.
(I think that you are know how to dress! I have seen you look fabulous!)
miss you
j
I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most  immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense  of what it is to be a human being.? Oscar Wilde

Gonzerilli

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 04:53 pm »
i think every theater is different. For my job at The Hypnodrome during performace I wear a wife beater, oversized 70's light and dark green striped suit jacket, a beat up old top hat, faded blue jeans, and a pair of dirty work boots. Oh yeah and carry around a walking stick and by the end of the show I have a foam clown nose. However, were a small blackbox theater where we only do Grand Guignol. I wouldn't have worn it my first night there and the producers love the outfit. So hey I figure flow with the show.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 01:33 pm »
I agree with all the previous posters stating that comfort, ease of movement and gak sotrage options are essential to your wardrobe choices. If you're not comfortable in your clothing, you may unconsciously broadcast this unease in other ways. Cargos or jeans, a nice, fitted t-shirt (layered with long sleeves in winter) and clean Converse sneakers are my particular favorites. I find I can perform any task, anticipated or not, while in my most comfortable, functional attire.

I do NOT want to see your leopard print thong every time you sit down, so please tuck in your shirt or otherwise mind the gap back there.

If I had a dime...this seems to be a trend among quite a few PAs with whom I have worked. This may be another thread topic but does anyone have a polite but firm way of requesting of younger SMs and PAs that they "mind the gap"?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 01:38 pm by Sarah »

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 02:41 pm »

If I had a dime...this seems to be a trend among quite a few PAs with whom I have worked. This may be another thread topic but does anyone have a polite but firm way of requesting of younger SMs and PAs that they "mind the gap"?

"Pull up your pants, please" always seems to work me.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 04:52 pm »

"Pull up your pants, please" always seems to work me.

I know- right?! It makes me insane...  ::)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 10:38 pm »
Although in defense of the sleeveless shirt or tank top, it is frequently about 80 degrees F in my office and not much cooler in the theatre for 3-4 months of the year.  I will take the bare arms over the sweat stains and the accompanying smells any day.  (How do you tell your PA/ASM/Crew that they smell?!  ;))
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 10:54 pm »
Females take aside females, males take aside males. 

And make sure your crew has enough free time to do their laundry or that wardrobe will agree to launder the crew "uniforms." I've known theatres to kick in for extra sets of blacks for those crew members who don't own enough sets to get through a performance week. Sometimes, a smelly PA/ASM/Crew is just a young person who doesn't budget time well, or actually is without free time and extra funds!

(How do you tell your PA/ASM/Crew that they smell?!  ;))
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda