Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Director and Producer don't get along  (Read 3320 times)

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
I've seen several threads here talking about difficult actors, directors, producers, etc... But I couldn't find any threads discussing what happens when the Director and the Producer don't get along. Screaming at each other during rehearsal is embarrassing for the crew and actors who overhear. Both the director and producer know they are being unprofessional, but can't help themselves. What can I do to keep things calm/stress-free at rehearsals and once we open? Should I try to ask them to leave the room if they start fighting again, and I'll run the rehearsal until they are able to return?

kallulah

Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Director and Producer don't get along
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:03 pm »
you should definitely mediate but keep away from comments that suggest resentment or that question their professionalism. 

Help them understand that the arguing is making others uncomfortable and that you would be happy to mediate their disagreements in a calm, secluded environment. 

Actors need not know of production quarrels...rumors are spread the fastest by actors.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 04:54 pm »
I’d try to talk with them each, separately, outside of rehearsal, before the next blow-up happens.  Since you think they’re aware that this isn’t a good situation, ask what their solutions would be on how to work through their differences less publicly.  Maybe they can agree to exchange written notes instead of discussing things during rehearsals, or plan to hold their notes to the end and talk then in private.  Maybe the three of you could have a code word or gesture that you can use if they’re in front of others and begin to raise their voices, if they’ll agree that on your single they’ll get back to business and save the rest of the argument for another time.  You could also talk about how their negative energy affects those who are around them, and in the interest of keeping things positive, you’d like to call a break if you sense things are getting heated.   Perhaps there is another neutral party they both respect, who is involved with the production or theater, and could mediate in some way.

Some personality conflicts are just beyond the SMs ability to solve.  If that’s the case, I’d do my best to stay in touch with actors and crew, to lighten their mood as much as possible. You can at reassuring them that the director & producer have personal differences, and this isn’t about the quality of the show or anyone in it.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:25 pm »
Worst comes to worst, I might consider talking to production management about closing rehearsals outright. Lock the room if you have to. No access, not even company members.

Screaming matches during rehearsal are embarrassing and demeaning enough unto themselves, but they also rob the company of rehearsal time, spoil the director's temper and concentration, and put actors on-edge. If they want to scream at each other, they can do it in the producer's office, not mid-rehearsal in front of the cast.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 12:02 am »
While I've never been in a situation where it's been as extreme as you've described, I found a simple "Is this something we can discuss later so as not to hold up rehearsal?" can be helpful. Also gives them time to cool down!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2010, 12:00 pm »
Thanks everyone for the comments. Everything ended up working out fine (for reasons I cant' share here), despite this being the most stressful show I've ever worked on.