Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: Coping when others seem not to care  (Read 2913 times)

Nic Sedivec; SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
PROFESSIONALISM: Coping when others seem not to care
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:55 am »
Hello,

I have run into an issue on Spelling Bee. My director has scheduled an 8 week rehearsal process for a 4 weekend run that has left cast and crew feeling like they have all the time in the world & have just run out.

I have tried tirelessly to email and call designers for information and it wasn't until this past Tuesday (2 weeks from tech) that I started getting responses - which are still spotty at best.

Tonight, my director (who is the vice president of the company) asked what might be overwhelming for me and what he should "take over so I'm not overloaded." I explained that it was the lack of communication from designers that had become a tad frustrating.

His response: "Well, that is your fault. I wasn't CC'd on some of those emails so I couldn't step in to fix it."

This has been the general attitude of my production team from the get go. It is a community theatre, so they feel they have no reason to be professional. This is my third show since May with this company and I know that is not the case for most shows.

Another contributing factor: I am the youngest tech on every team...by at least 5 years.

The director has let the cast run amok the entire process - they are frustrated by the absence of a vocal director. They don't listen very well (unless I'm the one talking. When I talk, they listen - at least I established that.)

The end of my rant is this: How do I get my team to pull their act together in time for tech if they don't respect me or my job?
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2011, 06:39 pm by Rebbe »

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: No one Cares!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:38 pm »
I can see how this production has made you feel disrespected and exasperated.  At the same time, from the outside this looks like it is not about you (personally) or you (the stage manager); it is about what the members of the production team are choosing to do.  Their expectations for what they should be doing are apparently different from yours, which is not necessarily the same as them not respecting you or your job.  How does it help you to assume they disrespect you, or to dwell on the fact that they do?    I would think it just increases your feelings of anger and frustration.  I know it’s easier to say than do, but I would try to find your joy in the production wherever you can.  It may not save the show, but it will save your emotional energy.  Remind yourself that the responsibility for the success of the production does not rest solely on your shoulders.   You cannot get your team to pull their act together if they don’t want to, but you can foster an atmosphere of open communication, respect, and positivity as everyone struggles to do the best they can in the time remaining.  It sounds like you already feel the cast is on your side, and they will need your support in dealing with the anxiety and change of Tech, especially if the rest of the team is unorganized.  Some shows come together beautifully at the last minute; yours could still be one of those. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Nic Sedivec; SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Coping when others seem not to care
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2011, 03:46 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply. I had lost this attitude about 4 weeks in. Your encouragement was just the pick me up I needed.

Thanks!

stageman7

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yale.edu/drama/index.html
Re: PROFESSIONALISM: Coping when others seem not to care
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:11 pm »
Nic-Can I comment on one thing you said about being the youngest by five years on the tech team? Well, I passed the magic age of sixty last year and I am often the oldest member of the crew; sometimes with a thirty year gap between me and the rest of the team. I often feel "left out" when the LD or sound tech are running the show on an I-Pad, or looking at me with the "OK old-timer we don't use analog in this theater" stare. Anyway, you seem to have gobne beyond your frustrations and organized the production. Congrats!