Author Topic: PROFESSIONALISM: marijuana and theatre  (Read 14775 times)

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
  • Experience: Professional
Re: marijuana and theatre
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2007, 02:10 am »
I worked an event recently where there were many speical performing groups.  There were models, dancers, singers, and a group of Native American drummers and dancers. When I went to their dressing room it reaked of pot.  I was hired in for the event and not in charge, the people in charge said it wasn't pot and it was alright for them to smoke, it was some ritual/religious thing.  I can understand that, but I was concerned for the other performers and who ever had to use the dressing room the next day.  How do you handel that one?

Candy[

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2007, 03:54 am »
Ask if they can "perform their religious duties outside" and if that fails:

Open all the windows and put a fan in the room after they leave, maybe burn some incense.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:17 am »
If it wasn't weed that they were burning, it was probably sage (often used in various religious rituals).
But that still doesn't make it ok.

I would definitely ask the producer or venue manager for a copy of venue guidelines. It's extremely likely that there's a policy in writing somewhere about no smoking or unauthorized fires anywhere in the building. It's just not allowed, but you should try to get a member of upper management to support you. This can become a touchy issue when people play the "religious freedom" card. Yes, some religions call for the use of psychoactive plants in rituals. But it's still illegal to smoke marijuana backstage, even if you're a Rastafarian. Sorry. 

As far as getting rid of the smell, do NOT burn incense. This is just as bad and you're really only covering the other smell - not solving the problem! Singers, actors, and other people whose livelihoods rely on their voices would object to pot, sage, or incense for the same reason - their fumes contaminate the air and irritate the vocal cords. Open all the windows, and then use a chemical odor remover like Odo-Ban or Febreeze. Keep the windows open for as long as possible - it might take a full day to let the room air out entirely. Some general cleaning will help remove the stank from furniture (vacuum upholstered couches and chairs, shake out rugs, wipe down tables and even the walls). You can even use dryer sheets to rub over the furniture - or make a dryer sheet "sail" in front of a hairdryer to neutralize the odors and fill the room with a fresh laundry smell.

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2007, 01:12 pm »
Yes, it probably was sage, but still would be a problem backstage. Outside in a designated smoking area is the law in California theaters.

Some people are sensitive to Febreze and a lot of us just hate the smell of it. A secret from the costume department for you, one that I use regularly and one of the things I didn't mention that's in my SM kit, is a travel size spray bottle filled with 50/50 water and vodka. Spray it into the air, spray it lightly on upholstered furniture, on rugs, etc. It will take down the odor almost instantly, leaves no residue or secondary odor. We use it on costumes between trips to the cleaners and also when storing them.

Owen

All the world's a Stage...

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:38 pm »
As far as getting rid of the smell, do NOT burn incense. This is just as bad and you're really only covering the other smell

That is the point - and what I meant was that it should be done immediately after the actors leave, so that the room at least does not smell of Pot (or sage) and the fabric etc will smell more pleasant. I know that I break out in a rash whenever I sit on/come into contact with something that has had odor 'eliminators' sprayed on it (same with spray starch... god knows why) - and whilst I have no idea if it is common, for my own comfort I don't use them.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2007, 04:41 pm by Mac Calder »

dwj0772

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2007, 12:08 pm »
...a travel size spray bottle filled with 50/50 water and vodka...

Wow - another good use for vodka!  :)  Just don't use the expensive vodka you have at home - go buy the cheap stuff.

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:26 pm »
Some people are sensitive to Febreze and a lot of us just hate the smell of it. A secret from the costume department for you, one that I use regularly and one of the things I didn't mention that's in my SM kit, is a travel size spray bottle filled with 50/50 water and vodka. Spray it into the air, spray it lightly on upholstered furniture, on rugs, etc. It will take down the odor almost instantly, leaves no residue or secondary odor. We use it on costumes between trips to the cleaners and also when storing them.

We used the same thing in college for the dance shows.  It was the only thing the dance director would allow used on the tutu's so it was refered to "Randy's special febreeze."

As for the over topic I hold a stand that I don't want it done at the shows or immediately before the shows.  What you do after the show is your business, provided you arrive at your respective call time and can safely perform your assigned tasks.  I've had crew people who I know where huge pot heads, but they understood if they came to the show stoned I would not let them be there very long.  Same goes for drinking, what you do after the show is fine, hell ill be out drinking with you then, but limit yourself so you will be ready for the show the next day.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:48 pm »
One of our TD's at a theatre I worked for was actually fired after showing up to work high, and we later discovered that she would smoke at the theatre at the end of of the night once the SM's had locked up and everyone went home.  It's a serious issue and can cause problems.  I completely agree that what one does on their own time is their business.  You don't do it at work, especially if you work in a theatre. 

And the vodka thing is a pretty cool trick.  ;)
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:02 pm »
As far as illegal substances are concerned you'd be surprised if you looked at most of your employee handbook's they will state to random drug testing can be done- and positive tests will result in termination.  Now; most Non-profita are too poor to be able to afford the randomized drug testing- but if an ED wants to do they are generally fully within their rights. Also- most organizations can fire you for refusing to take a drug test.

This became a tough situation for an organization I once worked at who did a random drug test and ended up short 3 leading roles for the production which opened in less than a week...

Also, another organization I worked in had 2 folks arrested on opening night for posession. They got to spend the night in jail because everyone they knew in town was in the show, and by the timethe curtain came in again the local bondsman had closed for the night. I do admit no one hurried out to try to help them as we had just had a put-in rehearsa lat half hour to get 2 new folks on and we were all pretty annoyed at our arrested friends.

(FYI; these are men who went to jail in their tights...They were very sad in the morning...)

Final story- a completely different organization's AD & ED grew pot in their back yard's... ! A shock to me when I was so young & impressionable!

My advice- Be very careful when making your choices.... Remember how your decisions both in and out of the studio will have consequences for those around you.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:23 am »
Balletdork's latest post made me think.

I have always had a strict personal policy of leaving any job (theatrical or otherwwise) that required random drug testing. This is a personal political choice, because I think that it's an invasion of my rights. I've only had to put this policy to the test a few times. A couple of times, I've left interviews when they brought up this policy as non-negotiable. Once, I walked off a job I already had. Once, they decided not to test me since I would not consent. The point is not whether they would find something incriminating in the test or not. The point is that I think it is flat-out wrong. But I know that these tests are entirely common. I've been a bit lucky - maybe one day this policy will cost me a dream job or some much-needed income. I just feel very strongly about this.

When companies decide to randomly test employees, they must be ready for the results. Whether you lose your leading actor three days before opening night or you lose your head accountant in the middle of an audit (who ever would have thought the mousy beancounter was a pothead!) - you will find what you look for, because it's there.

All that said, I certainly maintain that alcohol and drugs - possession or intoxication - are entirely unacceptable in the workplace.
This is an interesting conversation!

riotous