Author Topic: RUNNING: Valuables  (Read 3982 times)

nmno

RUNNING: Valuables
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:48 am »
So, recently an actor complained about how we handle valuables; I've been fighting a lot of little battles lately and have admittedly lost perspective and so am curious about what others do...

At 15 minutes, the ASM (that's me) goes around to the dressing rooms and collects the valuables bags (they are zipper banker bags, ie. not see-thru) Bags are often just left at their station for us to pick up.  We lock them in a safe in our office for the show.
Toward the end of the show, just before the final musical number and bows, valuables bags are returned to their dressing rooms.  At this point, the deck SM goes up to the stage to do a final check that all is in place for the last number, watches the moving scenery and follows the cast back downstairs after bows. (This has been the deck track for over 2 years).

One of the actors recently expressed concern that valuables were being returned and sat in the dressing room for a few minutes before the end of the show.  Now, I understand her concern (it's also not so coincidental in my mind that she got engaged over Xmas and now has her ring in her valuables...) and the SM & I have suggested to her that I could either leave her valuables in a location "unexposed" such as in her bag, under her sweater on the chair, etc. or that she could come and retrieve them from the office once she is out of costume.  The SM does not seem interested in changing our track to deliver at a different time.  For the record, the SM is relatively new and therefore is not the one who set up the track (so it's not like she's taking it personally; she didn't set it up this way but doesn't see any need to change it either). Also for the record, I find our theatre fairly safe; I leave my wallet in my totebag under or on my desk, my iphone sitting out...

On other shows I've returned valuables after bows, just beating the actors to the dressing rooms (not possible here as the office is WAY out of the way and the dressing rooms are really spread out) or have had the actors come to me on their way back to their dressing rooms (again not possible here the way the actors split the stage for final exit, very little room, and no single path to dressing rooms.)

Does this seem like a big deal?  What do you do on your show?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 02:39 am by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Valuables
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:51 am »
Um, why can't valuables be handed to the person after the show is over or have them come to the SM office to pick up . . . I have never just "left" them in the dressing room . . . it seems SO counter-intuitive in the whole reason to collect valuables.  If something was to be stolen, there is a not chain of control that is being followed, since they are being left out in the open.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:05 am »
Sometimes I would have the asm bring the valuables to the stage just prior to the end of the show and hand them out there as they left for the drseeing rooms. Otherwise I would personally deliver to dressing rooms once the cast were offstage. Pretty rare that I couldn't get there before someone was out of costume; and if a cast member was in a special hurry to get away they would just come looking for me to collect their items.

I have to agree with Matthew that if you are going to bother to collect them at all, it seems a bit counter productive to deliver them (or collect them) from unattended stations. Even if the venue seems safe enough presumably there is some risk, or why do valuables at all.

ChaCha

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:17 pm »
Valuables are handed to the actors either as they exit from the bows on the way back to the Dressing Rooms or brought to the Dressing Rooms while the cast is changing.

The point is, that each actor re-accepts responsibility for their own items at this time, and there is no gap in which the valuables are unattended, no matter how safe the theatre or venue might seem.

If something is stolen, your Producer is liable, and though the theatre/venue is most likely insured, they won't be happy.  Neither will the actor with the missing wallet, jewelery, cellphone, or iPod. Making everything right for a person who has been robbed, is a long process.

Change the track. Don't take the risk.

Does this seem like a big deal?  What do you do on your show?

Posted on: January 12, 2009, 07:26:58 AM
An addendum to my posting of this morning:

Returning valuables to the actors, in person, is the Stage Manager's opportunity to touch base with the cast at the end of the show. This person to person contact is when actors can advise you of any notes or questions they might have before leaving the building, or set up a time to meet with you privately about an issue that might be more sensitive.  This is valuable time spent being available to your cast.

The object should never be to get everything done fast in order to get out of the building as early as possible.  The object should be to cover all the bases, human or otherwise, before "punching out." 
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:33 pm »
I agree with everyone else, valuables should never be left unattended like they have been. I would say either don't pick them up and leave valuables up to the responsibility of the actor (leave it at home policy, like at my college's facility. We offer lockers so actors can bring their own lock if they are concerned.) Of course, the only valuables safe I've seen have been in the booth or house manager office in the front of house.

I think it is a good plan for either the SM or ASM to collect the valuables right after curtain has settled down and check in with each of the actors while handing back the bags. Someone should be checking in with them anyways so taking an extra minute to grab the bags doesn't seem too much of an inconvenience. If someone can't wait the 10 minutes it takes for the SM to get them their valuables should be told they have the right not to have the SM lock up their valuables in the first place.

I know I would be very uncomfortable having any of my valuables left in my dressing room alone, especially if it is possible to for someone to be back there that is not cast. If it were me I'd want the policy to change as well.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.